1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best replacement 12 volt battery?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eric "v", Dec 3, 2014.

1. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I just got my 2013 v in February of 2014 so don't expect to have to replace until at least 2 years has passed. (Here in the toasty Mojave Desert batteries don't last long.)

So... what is the best battery (that fits)?
    I've used Optima batteries and they croaks fast as other top batteries like Toyota and Interstate. I have heard that Sears very best battery is quite long lasting.

2. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Hey we are from Canada and winter in Amargosa valley...(just to the NW of you). The 12v battery does not start the prius it only powers the dash and computers so no load on it at all. IIRC it is charged through the traction battery and the traction battery runs everything else. You should not have to worry about it at all, from what I have read there are very few replacements for it. The 12v is slightly bigger than a motorcycle battery tucked away in the rear right hand quarter panel. Not related to forum but any good backpacking trails for a novice that are dog friendly? Thanks Eric.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know if this will be true when you need one, but currently Toyota's TrueStart battery has a 84 month warranty. If you chew through them often, buying by longest warranty may be most economical.

(Remember to use A/C, it not only cools you, but your batteries as well)

Genuine Toyota Batteries - Spartan Toyota

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Never had one go bad even after a few discharges on my 08 Prius. That car has 6 years and 85k miles and we get plenty hot in south Texas. As stated above they are not used much and have an excellent built in charger system, probably much better than the typical alternator.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    never heard of a sears battery for prius, do you have a model number? anyway, it's been hit or miss with different brands, and none have turned out to be 'best'.

6. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Wish that was true.
    If you follow ALL the posts here, you would know that premature failure of the factory 12V battery is fairly common......not because of poor quality but because of a lot of "sitting around discharged".......which his "last years model" might suffer from.
    Once you are out of warranty, the OEM replacement battery from Toyota seems to get good marks and is only slightly more expensive (if any) than other direct replacements.

7. Scribe

Scribe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I read an article on line about using a Group 51 (NOT A 51R) battery and adapting Marine battery clamps to it to be able to connect to the cars cables. I have the clamps in the glove box, Sam's Club carries a Sealed Gel Battery for $86.00, may not be the 'best' but certainly beats $225-250 plus install, my 12v is still @ 12+v static/14.1 charging and is the OEM that came with 08.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the converter clamps for the 08 also, never used them.

9. Scribe

Scribe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There is plenty of room to store them until needed.

10. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a California source for an Optima replacement battery for Prius v and 4 door sedan. It includes a 12 page instruction manual with photos.

Here in 'Vegas' searing summer heat batteries are lucky to last 3 years.

Has anyone here replaced there 12 volt battery with an Optima spiral cell battery?

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I used the red top Optima on my Porsche. No problems even though the car hibernated for weeks at a time. They had a very good reputation in the Porsche community.

The Yellow Top is the one for the Prius.

I actually ordered mine online. Delivered to my front door in about 4 days.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try elearnaid.com for a price comparison. someone mentioned $200. at o'reilleys.

13. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OK, I've found a site that offers an Optima (spiral cell) 12 volt battery made to fit Prii, and a 12 page instruction manual on how to install it.

Optima batteries are known to be good but the one from Costco that I put in my wife's '96 Corolla only lasted a little over 2 years!
    Since then we've used Toyota batteries with good luck. SO... I may have answered my own question.
    Thank God there's a good battery removal/install video on this site.