1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best replacement HID bulb? (NOT retrofit)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by herqulees, Nov 22, 2019.

1. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't seem to easily find any reliable info on replacement HID bulbs. I have a 2014 Two with factory HID. We just hit 100k miles and these lights are a joke, when driving at night we both end up sooner or later asking the other "Are you sure the headlights are on/working?"
    Could anyone tell me what bulb size I'm looking for? Also if there's a preferred brand that'd be great too. I can't seem to get any details. I'm needing to get some purchased ASAP for a six hour night drive next Wednesday.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not really familiar with the 2014, but aren't your choices halogen or LED? Did they offer HID in 2014?

3. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the amount of time I've spent searching online, I could have changed 100 headlights. In frustration I walked outside in the rain, popped the hood, stuck my head in as far as I could and read "H11 LL 55W 12V".
    I was told when I purchased it it was HID, I was taught that the glass lens/"eye" type headlight always means HID. Yet nope I was just misinformed it seems. Sigh. Time to go buy an affordable H11 headlight instead of an expensive HID. How disappointing.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    #searchfeaturedeletemod

5. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    why don't you upgrade to hid (retrofitsource.com), it doesn't cost a fortune, is pretty much plug 'n' play & makes quite a lot of a difference /

#5 StarCaller, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  6. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd rather not risk altering the beam/blinding oncoming drivers. Along with I needed something I could get in a couple days at most, so I stopped by the auto parts store and got two H11 and two 9005 Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlights to replace both low and high beams. When they burn out in a year (due to how bright they are I know from previous experience they don't live long) I'll look into LED retrofit if anyone makes a proper kit.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With all the searching done, you should have stumbled upon headlight projectors, which restricts light projection and will not alter height projection.

8. herqulees

herqulees Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But the projectors in my car, despite my original belief, are not meant for HID use. So if I wanted to use HIDs I'd have to install different projectors and as I said I needed something I could just get off the shelf before Thanksgiving. Thus I'm happy with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra, they're great for what they are and I got them down the road from my house.
    All the searching I did was for stock HID bulb size for a 2014 Prius, which was really difficult since they don't have HID lights. Lol

elementnomore likes this.