1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best result with gasoline brand

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by garylow, Feb 25, 2012.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that was the Westville Sunoco refinery.

2. firecracker_rc

firecracker_rc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My first car was a long-time pass-around hand-me-down 1975 Pontiac Ventura, brown. I didn't mind it's age or lack of luster because it was Free. :) Anyway, point is, that car taught me something about fuel. It ran fine on any fuel except Arco. If I used Arco the valves would rattle loudly and it would lose power upon acceleration and driving up hills. When I got a new used car, I decided that even though it didn't have the same effect, I wouldn't use it in case it might cause undo ware or damage over time, knowing how it affected my more sensitive older former car.

3. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    True....but there is more then just the mileage reason concerning fuel. Just because the OP didn't ask for it doesn't mean it's not a good reason to discuss it. :D

4. garylow

garylow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the feedback. I decided with my 96 camry that had 220700 miles on it before i traded it for the Prius that the few cents saved with cheap gas didn't pay. It did get better mpg with brand gas. i also think the additives help keep the engine clean. I did once get poor mpg with BP and think it has a batch of bad gas. To save 3 cents a gallon might be saving me 30 cents doesn't pay. I seem to be getting at least 51 mpg in NJ in the fairly mild weather we have been having lately. Last fillup up was calculated at 52.9 or 57 on the computer.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not exclusively because the OP also asked " Does it pay to use the cheap stuff or stick with big brand names?"...

I took that to mean is there any benefit to using "Top Tier" vs. Cheap Stuff...

Which opens the whole can of worms and everyones personal gasoline buying beliefs and rituals....which usually means everything eventual de-evolves into .....do what you want...