1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Roof Rack for 2015 Prius (for kayak)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by heatherpiro, Oct 22, 2017.

1. heatherpiro

heatherpiro 2015 "the blueberry #2"

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Is there a Toyota option or am I stuck with 3rd party. I am seeing threads about drilling holes in the roof to add something, but want to be able to easily take off when not in use due to potential mileage erosion. However, I do want it to be really sturdy so my kayak doesn't fly down the highway. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

This is my 2nd Prius and I will probably only ever drive a Prius unless they stop making them.

James Powers likes this.
  2. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMO you are probably better off with a 3rd party rack like Thule or Yakima, especially for user experience and ease of use. I haven't put any on my Prii yet but have OEM rails and cross members on my other car and I almost immediately replaced them with Thule cross bars. I was dealing with way too much buffering with a loaded roof basket on the OEM ones during a trip to Yosemite last year. Its almost stiff as a board now tho..

heatherpiro likes this.
  3. heatherpiro

heatherpiro 2015 "the blueberry #2"

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do they require drilling holes? In my mind there was some way to get OEM rails added, but Toyota's website says no such thing. I fear drilling holes will result in leaks.

Nolan Hines and James Powers like this.
  4. khp

khp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I purchased my used 2006 Prius it came with a Yakima rack with crossbars and we have put 2 kayaks up there. I kind of wonder how good it grips the sides of the roof but it works. I still run a rope from front and rear of kayaks to the front and rear of the car. I worry less watching those 17' kayaks wiggling in the front while driving down the highway.
    The rack kills my mileage and howls like crazy so it is off most of the time.

heatherpiro and ckam1989 like this.
  5. James Powers

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not on the ones that I have seen, no holes to be drilled. They have these "feet" that clamp to your roof that have nice pads so not to scuff or scratch the paint. You can take them off if you want and go back to a naked roof when you are no longer using them. I've seen them used going for 150$ for the lower end Yakima models. I've looked at brand new Thule racks and its like 600. Hope this helps.

6. ckam1989

ckam1989 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use thule because I like the look of the aeroblades. You'll have to purchase an additional accessory for the kayak thou.

heatherpiro and James Powers like this.
  7. James Powers

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Thule ones definitely look cooler. I have them on my other car with a roof basket and when fully loaded, they are awesome.

8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you ever find a good roof rack yet?