1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best software / hardware to recover codes from 2004 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stonehome, Jan 11, 2014.

1. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have a 2004 with 208,000 miles under it's hood, and it's been a remarkably trouble free vehicle. Maintenance (by me) has included changing transaxle fluid, pcv valve, spark plugs every 100k , aux battery replacement (just this year), and routine stuff: brakes, tires, filters etc as needed. The air conditioning condenser and evaporator finally each needed replacement within the past year, but that's the only major repair I've needed.
    Had a strange and unnerving thing happen this week, though. Leaving Manhattan for home, the ICE shut down, and the power button was unresponsive for several minutes, led remained orange, hybrid warning triangle and check engine were lit, all this while I was midway through the Lincoln tunnel! Anyway, was finally able to get restarted: traction battery had discharged down to a single "bar" from my desperate attempt to glide out of there on battery alone. I was on my way, after confirming that the ICE was running and the battery was charging. I had one eye on that display all the way back to PA. ....

Two questions:
    Any thoughts on what may have caused this? had half a tank of gas at least..
    What software / hardware is best to purchase for repair diagnostics and comprehensive recovery of ALL error codes? with the mileage on this baby I'm certain it will be money well spent to diagnose future problems......

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the BEST, you'll need Techstream Lite which runs on your Windows laptop, and which Toyota licenses for $1,345.
    TIS

3. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks, Patrick.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Mini VCI with Techstream from Ebay less than $30 will do everything you need with an old windows laptop running XP or Vista. Later Wndows 7 or 8 can be used but needs a bit of playing with "details here on PC".

John (Britprius)

5. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John,
    Thanks. So, would I need the Techstream software mentioned in Patrick's posting, plus the Mini VCI? Or is that software part of the Mini VCI package ?
    Ed

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's all part of the VCI package. This gives you near dealer level of fault finding and service including, brake bleeding/flushing, steering zero point calibration, brakes linear solenoid valve calibration, key fob registration, battery diagnostics including module pair resistance and voltages, with recording while driving, and so much much more.
    I have nothing to do with this product, but do use one.
    There have been a few reports of faulty units, but the difference in price makes the small risk worthwhile, and the unit can always be returned for a replacement in the unlikely event of this happening.

John (Britprius)

7. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John,
    Thanks.......

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Mini VCI appears to be pirated software so you'll run some risk as John suggested. However the price/value ratio certainly is highly attractive.

In the meantime, you might want to visit your local auto parts store if it will lend out a generic OBD-II code reader, as that may be sufficient for your immediate problem where the engine has failed and the check engine light appears.

9. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Patrck,
    Thank you. The mechanic who replaced my air conditioning components will probably help with the immediate code recovery I need, but I do want to be able to diagnose and health check my Prius from here on due to its age and the engine malfunction. I own all the Toyota shop manuals for it, and am an engineering nerd.
    Though I'm a big believer in OEM diagnostic software, I'll start with the VCI only because the 4 figure price tag for the "official"version is a bit steep. If the VCI works well enough I'd rather put that $1300.00 towards the inevitable traction battery rebuild...
    Thank you again for your help.
    Ed

10. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Android phone app called "Torque" paired with a OBDII bluetooth adapters is also a good option.

11. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks. I do not have an Android, however, my son does, so we may try this out next week.......

12. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you decide to try out the Torque app, you will need to purchase a bluetooth adapter. There is a list of compatible adapters here: Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki

If you order something now you might be able to get it in time to play next week.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Shown below is one page of two of HV battery diagnostics from the Mini VCI from my Prius to give you a flavour of what to expect.
    nb.JPG

John (Britprius)

14. stonehome

stonehome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John,
    Thanks. That 's the kind of detail I want. This will recover stored error codes as well, correct?
    I'm already pricing this on Ebay........
    Ed

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, it is as close as you can get to the dealer diagnostics. If or should I say when you get one you will be amazed at the level of functions. It covers all Toyota's and will do emissions related work on other vehicles.

John (Britprius)

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

John,

I've ordered one of these Mini diagnostic tools on ebay (the auction was cancelled by ebay right after cause it's pirated software), either case I'm hoping to receive mine soon. You mentioned they run XP and there has to be some modification to run on windows 7? Do you know how I can get this to run on Windows 7? I would hate to dig up my old xp, not sure if I even have a charge cord for that old dinosaur.

17. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The print out shown as from a recording I did while driving. The software puts this in a file for later playback. I could send you the complete file, but without the software you could not play it back.

John (Britprius)

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I will see if I can find the link. It was posted by OP "3 Pronged Paul" if I remember correctly.
    There are lots of sellers of the VCI.

John (Britprius)

19. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    JC91006 likes this.
  20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model: