1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tank yet :o)

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by kithmo, Aug 7, 2017.

1. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Just got my best mpg per tank since owning the car, 66.5 mpg (UK), was showing 71.1 on the trip so 4.6 mpg out. Nowhere near the quoted 90+ mpg (UK) on Toyota's website, but not bad without trying, keeping up with traffic and speed limits. :)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, that's pretty darn good!(y)

kithmo likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's impressive. If it makes you feel better, you have beaten the tougher EPA test number. Here, it's quoted at 62 imp. MPG combined.

kithmo likes this.
  4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    That's a more realistic figure than our Government UK tests: The fuel consumption testing scheme
    all done in a lab.
    As you can see in my Fuelly, I'm not quite there on my average, but most of my driving is usually short urban trips where the engine barely gets to temperature, this last tank involved 3 round trips to the coast of approx 150 miles each.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whilst applauding kithmo's results, you should remember our mpg is per imperial gallon and not the North American gallon. Well done, nonetheless.(y)

6. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Talk about burst my bubble :cry:

Prodigyplace, Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.
  7. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm on my 3rd tank so far. Really like the handling, ride comfort and of course the fuel efficiency.

8. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for that, not what I meant at all. Like you in this Summer weather I'm getting about the same but forget to take pictures. I even managed over 80mpg the other day on a 33 Mile trip. That's more than 66.6 US mpg

kithmo and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Good work. Those shorter journeys will be keeping the mpg "down", so if you can work on those trips or even avoid a few you will see the difference. I am sure that the Gen 4 will do the official 94mpg UK when the planets are in alignment.

RCO likes this.
  10. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    No problem RCO, my comment was tongue in cheek. On two of those trips to the coast I used DRCC and achieved around 65 mpg UK, on the trip readout, each way. On the third one I didn't use DRCC and to be fair there was less traffic, so I could accelerate slower, and I achieved 81.5 mpg one way and 79.5 mpg on the return journey according to the trip computer, which is about 4.6 mpg optimistic, so DRCC = 60.5 true mpg (UK), no DRCC = 75.9 true mpg (UK)

RCO likes this.
  11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_20170811_152229.jpg Here is my latest fill up. UK miles, gallons, litres, prices and Prius!

Attached Files:

12. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And pounds too, if you look at the attached photo :D

RCO likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fantastic mileage!

The price difference between yours and ours is starting to shrink :confused:. (Well depends where you are but the most expensive in the country is actually more than California prices :eek:)

RCO likes this.
  14. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I have to say that I never hypermile, use lots of power acceleration to impress young petrolheads, don't check tyre pressures much (only once since last September). Most of my journeys are on roads that wind and rollercoaster over hills and valleys, but I do try to drive as smoothly as possible while steering and braking. Oh, and I seldom go faster than 75mph!

Bottom line, all credit to the fantastic Gen 4 Toyota Prius.... and, of course you guys for all the wisdom and recommendations that filter through these forum posts. (y)

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota is making improvements, not just to the hybrid system but also to the way the system operates to make it easier to achieve those numbers without having to hypermile which means the average mpg of Prius owners should increase, thus saving more fuel as a whole.

kithmo and RCO like this.
  16. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great job! I recently got my best tank too (I think it's definitely the warmer weather that has made a difference)

76 mpg UK (63mpg US) showing on the dash. Actual turned out to be almost 72mpg UK (60mpg US)

After fill up, my DTE showed as 600 miles (first time ever since I got the car last year)

Oh I dipped into a forum where new owners of BMW's 330e were sharing their mpg results. They were patting themselves on the back at getting 44mpg UK (37 mpg US) by driving steadily and making use of the battery given they had charged it before leaving the house. Naturally, the BMW is far quicker and more powerful than the Gen 4, but now that I'm used to spending so little on fuel, I would not want to get another car which drinks more.

besttank.jpg sixhundred.jpg

17. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Et tu Bruté. Congrats!

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice. To be fair, 37 mpg (6.35L/100km) is pretty damn good for a BMW with that kind of performance. I still remember a colleague who had a second generation Nissan Xterra (got 14L/100km on average, that's 16.8 US mpg or 20 Imp. mpg and closer to 18L/100km in the winter o_O). It was a beast in the snow (unplowed residential area so you need a way to get to the main road) When it came time to replace the vehicle, he said he would be happy with anything less than 10L/100km (23.5mpg/ 28 Imp. mpg) :eek:. It's all relative :D. Meanwhile my area is plowed and in the winter I was getting 5-5.5L/100km (42-47 US/51-56 Imp.) and low 4s in the summer (high 50s US/high 60s Imp.)

My total cost now is just over CAD$7,000 in fuel compared to CAD$20,000 (assuming 4.9 vs. 14L/100km). I don't mind the extra $13k I "saved" over an Xterra (plus I wouldn't be taking advantage of anything the Xterra offers so even if it can do things the Prius can't, I wouldn't have done them anyway)

#18 Tideland Prius, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    RCO and Prodigyplace like this.