1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Techstream software

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ernie stires, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’m buying a tech stream cable and software but I’m concerned that the software may not be windows 10 compliant. Suggestions? TIA

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are plenty of online guides, videos and threads that you may find useful when attempting a winblows10 install.

Ernie stires likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the best would be the real deal, not a black market knockoff

Ernie stires likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I agree with Bisco. For one all the other free versions are illegal and can be identified if you go online. So people put them on beater pcs.

Second the ability to use TIS is hampered without the online ability to use links and highlight circuits.

Ernie stires likes this.
  5. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I
    Bought the cable and associated software on Amazon, still working on getting the install correct, it’s kind of tricky but I think I can figure it out.

#5 Ernie stires, Oct 13, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2022
  6. lexidium

lexidium Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Better to get an older PC or windows tablet with windows 7 and use it just for techstream.
    It's difficult to install the older versions on windows 10: I never managed it.
    It's a gen 2 car so you don't need the latest version. I've had 11 13 and 15 and they are fine.

Ernie stires likes this.
  7. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    the version I got on cd from Amazon says it is a windows 10 version, I’ll try to find an earlier version. Thanks!

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When we talk about software versions, we mean the version number of TechStream. It might be ver. 12.024, 14.00, or something like that. Latest might be 17 or 18 "point something". A Gen2 Prius can be scanned fine with TS ver 9.

There can be a couple problems with bootleg TS (that's any version you didn't download from and paid to Toyota). Some have had difficulty with the interface cable not working for some functions. Some have had problems with the cable drivers (many have only 32bit drivers, new windows 10 laptops are often 64 bit).

Bootleg TS needs to be "hacked" in order to work, depending on how that was done, some TS functions can be "broken", or Win 10 antivirus might (correctly or incorrectly) find malware in the program.

Having an old "beater" Win 7 laptop can reduce the problems in setup.

Another option is to search the forum for "Techstream" and "VM" to find a thread about a virtual machine that has Techstream loaded in it. Install VirtualBox on most any laptop, download and run the VM- connect your cable & go.

Another (other) option is to look at the sticky thread at the top of the Technical Discussion forum about OBD apps and devices.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Pw2002gen2 and Ernie stires like this.
  9. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you, yes, the provided cd has version 17. I had to disable my virus software to load it. I understand it was a bootleg. I will look at the sticky’s, I will also look at earlier versions except I’m hesitant about possible malware, I suppose I may have already loaded it…

10. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I have Techstream installed and operating. Turns out that one had to execute the “patch” file to initiate the TS software. I was able to pull codes on my brake warning lights, I tried to initialize and new, second, key but I’m guessing that the battery in the second key is too low to function. Now if I can just get that #%^* battery out….

11. Ernie stires

Ernie stires Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Update. Techstream is working as it should, the instructions that came with the cable and CD from Amazon were a little hinkey but I worked it out. I was able to view the codes from the brakes system, c1256 and c1344. I ran the ebc utilities and they cleared but I am going to air bleed the brakes as it seems that is an underlying issue. All other systems checked out, I could not get my crappy eBay replacement fob to code either with the Techstream or the chicken dance, replaced the battery, still nothing. I figure it is toast. It does take some time fooling with Techstream to figure it out and take advantage of its features but I making progress. Now if I can just get my e brake light to turn off….

bisco likes this.