1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tire (for MPG) for Prius Plus 17" wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by GoldenKiwi, Jul 22, 2013.

1. GoldenKiwi

GoldenKiwi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm looking to replace my gas guzzling 18" wheels and wide tires that came on my Prius with 17s, and from the research I've done (between the standard package V 17s, Prius Plus, and Scion FRS) it seems my best option is the Prius Plus wheels as at least one person on this forum has said that he did not see any drop in MPG using them compared with the standard 15s. They are also the cheapest buying them from the dealership. Looking at some old threads about the Prius Plus wheels people recommended getting the Ecopia 422s which are no longer available, hence me posting this thread. New recommendations anyone?

Also, if anyone is interested, the prices for the wheels from Toyota are as follows):

Prius Plus - $1,666.44
    Package 5 17s - $2,100.97 (Persona wheels are not sold except as replacements for those who bought the package)
    Scion FRS - $1,827.32

These prices include CA sales tax, install kit, center caps, and/or lug nuts required.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's no evidence that the Prius Plus wheels are more fuel efficient than the OEM or Persona 17s and anyone saying that 17" wheels get the same mpg as stock 15s is lying. You may, however, still be able to attain 50 mpg actual with efficient driving, but given the same driving techniques, you'll still get a hit of 2-3 (or more) mpg depending on the wheels.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Blanket statements are not helpful, and nobody is lying. The diameter of the wheel has no impact on mileage. The weight does, width, etc. But its the circumference of the tire on the wheel that directly impacts mileage, and a 17" wheel with low profile tire can have the same tread circumference as a 15" wheel with higher profile tire. But blanket statements about wheels and mileage are ALWAYS inaccurate.

AliPK likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You ought to be careful because you're making blanket statements yourself. Weight is a much less factor compared to width in terms of mpg hit. In fact, some who have switched to lighter 17x7" wheels failed to see any mpg increase much to their disappointment.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To answer the OP's question, F8L is of the opinion that the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus is the next most fuel efficient tire but it's available in the 205/50-17 size, not 215/45-17. I don't know if it has the raised rim protector in that size, which is my requirement as it helps prevent curb rash from being a little careless.

6. ocblackpriusii

ocblackpriusii Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the Conti DWS on my 17x7 wheels and get 52-55MPG on my 66 mile round trip commute (2+ years driving the same route on these tires). I now have 30K miles on them and they are still in great shape. I would definitely get them again.

7. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What would be the impact of the 205/50 size tire (vs 215/45) on fuel efficiency and odometer reading, in addition to comfort, all else being equal?

8. notion

notion New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, interesting to see how much the dealer is charging for wheels. I got a set of oem Persona wheels for less than half that on ebay. I'd look elsewhere.

I went with with the Michilin MXM4's. I have only been on them for a couple weeks but it seems like the mpg hit is pretty minimal. Maybe a loss 3-4 mpgs in the city, but cruising on the freeway I can easily get 50+ plus. The handling is so much better than the 15"s and you really feel planted in them. The rim protector aspect also helped with the decision.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    205 is narrower and should in theory help with fuel economy. Some people like how it fills the wheel gap but it looks too fat to me IMO. I'd rather drop it to close the wheel gap.

Yes, dealers always overcharge for OEM 17s. They're cheaper online.

10. priusually

priusually Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The wife's prius has the Plus wheels w/ Conti DWS's. She's averaging about 51mpg in the summer (and about 49ish during the winter) but I admit to properly inflating her tires. When she complains about the ride I let a few lbs of psi out.

We could probably squeeze a few more MPGs if we went w/ lrr tires but we need the DWS's ability to handle the occasional snow in the PNW.

11. sarir97

sarir97 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Agree with the fatness. I'm also dropping with TRDs, so perhaps the car will look lower than otherwise because of very little wheel gap?