1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Tire pressure for prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by suirp91257, Sep 20, 2010.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I rotate left to right every 10,000 miles. I've heard it's not all that useful as compared to front/rear rotation, but I don't believe it hurts that much either.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So...do you still have your factory OEMs installed, bought OEM replacements, ???? Actually cross rotating, with or without the spare, actually does increase tire life if you're not spot on maintaining the suspension, brakes, bearings, half shafts, steering, ect...using non-directional's.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i did too. what made me ask was cycle's position that cross rotting reduces tyre noise.
    Merged bisco...
    when 'radial' tyres first came out, they said that they 'set themselves in one direction', and it would be bad to reverse them. that thinking seems to have hung on.

#23 bisco, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the radials are non-directionals you can cross...and it will reduce noise somewhat...if you have irregular wear for cause.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe from not rotating often enough.:oops:

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That, not balancing and/or not having alignment maintained. For some reason, many Prius owners think these items don't have to be dealt with...like every other car on the road. Ever wonder why the "free maintenance" offered by Toyota and others is only 2 oil/filter changes, 5 inspections and 5 rotations?

Sorry, forgot the Prius is indestructible and requires no maintenance.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know it's NOT exciting.
    I think people like the idea that they are doing something that allows them a unsanctioned advantage.

But I run my tires at exactly the recommended PSI on the door jam.

My observation is I really didn't see a significant MPG increase during the experimental times I tried running at a higher pressure.

And my thought is since I am driving a hybrid that has regenerative brakes, a IMO very tricky and potentially over reactive traction control system, I don't really want to mess with how the suspension interacts with the tires and road. This is a case, where I think the complication of the Hybrid system really makes being conservative the right move.

In other words, maxing out your tire PSI "might" give you a few MPG advantage, but my fear is the bumpy and unstable ride could be a safety hazard, more so with regenerative brakes and The Prius HSD system than with a normal car.

But I also know I'm not going to convince those that see an advantage and think it's worth it.

Pijoto likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, OEM tires still. Car built in Aug 09, purchased Nov 10. Tires are Michelin Pilot MX MXM4, non-directional pretty sure. Tires were manufactured Feb 09, getting on age wise, but uniform looking tread, and around 6~7/32" tread depth remaining , only around 57000 km on odometer.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...and no dry rot?

10. Jwservant

Jwservant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have always used what is stuck in the door jam for tire pressures,because manufacturers don't make tires.So if you go with what is stamped on the tire info sticker in left door jam you usually are fine,plus or minus according to comfort and mileage.

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    They're pretty good still. Stacked in the garage through winter, covered in a kosher tire shroud, 15" Michelin X-Ice on the car. They're starting to crack a bit, but still pretty fine stuff. I'm intending to run them one more spring/summer/fall.

12. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just my $0.02 here - I am on my second Prius - 1st was a 2005 - current one is a 2010. I found on both vehicles that when I increased the tire pressure (front from 36 to 40 and back from 34 to 38, I DID experience an increase of about 2 mpg. You definitely have to keep "air temperature" in mind as that also will affect the mpg. Regarding any negative impact on the rest of the suspension items due to this small change - I'm not convinced that difference in tire pressure IS going to cause any issues.

skirmish and Pijoto like this.
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good to hear and thanks again for you valuable guidance before buying my first snows.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. socal13

socal13 livin in the foothills...

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    One potential problem with inflating your tires to door jamb pressure is that unless you are very diligent in monitoring your pressure you will be under inflated much of the time as all tires lose air over time which of course causes undue tire wear, handling problems, etc. The vast majority of tires on the road are under inflated due to driver negligence. Therefore keeping your tires at least 2 lb above the door jamb pressure will protect your tires.

snead_c and Pijoto like this.
  15. socal13

socal13 livin in the foothills...

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Per the owner's manual, the Prius tires are supposed to be rotated front to back, same side; but for my 2015 Avalon the manual says to rotate in the cross pattern. Anyone know why these two Toyotas should have differing rotation pattern recommendations? I'm going to start a new thread with this question so as to get more responses.

#35 socal13, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've wondered that too. I notice in the 2016 Prius Owner's Manual (available at Toyota Tech Info site now) they continue with the keep the tires on the same side protocol. There's mention of a model with full size spare (tantalizing, eh?), and even with this one they adhere to keeping rotation to the same side:

Capture.JPG

I've stuck with the Toyota directive, kept my tires on the same side, but I'm not sure there's a point. My snows are directional. But not the OEM's. One advantage: all the curb rash tends to be on two of the rim, lol.

17. miamiflash

miamiflash Junior Member

I'm on my second Prius, now. The first, a 2005, I followed recommendations found here and kept the tire pressure at 42/40. I've owned the 2016 Prius 2 for about 6 months, now, and am wondering if the tire pressure recommendation changes. Thoughts?

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    haven't read any reason to change it, other than personal desire/beliefs.

19. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just make sure you have a good dentist. :ROFLMAO:

20. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota lists almost same pressure for prius and prius C while both having big weight difference which does not make sense.toyota recomanded tyre pressure is almost under inflated.38 to 42 seems decent range.