1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tire with the highest ply for Prius C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Britt Jacobsen, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Britt Jacobsen

Britt Jacobsen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I need tires that would work on dirt/rough roads but also would not effect my MPG and would fit in my wheel well without any problems? Any suggestions? Highest ply tires are usually what I choose.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I saw your other thread about fuel economy where you mentioned delivering mail but you didn't mention poor roads in that post. You should go back and state that for maybe better answers.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your tire question.

3. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    ok....not all the roads are bad but some are rough on my tires.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK, here's an answer if it were me: I'd go for higher profile (taller sidewall) to both better absorb bumps/thumps and raise the car; mileage be damned.

Britt Jacobsen likes this.
  5. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But would it hit or scrape my wheel well when I turn? I might just go with the stock tires but with a higher ply if its available. I thought about a lift kit but maybe just bigger tires would do the trick. But then again I don't want to lose my mileage. We will see.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Snow tires will have better performance on dirt roads than touring tires. Consider

Michelin X-Ice Xi3

It is a low rolling resistance tire so should not impact MPG more than any new tire does.

7. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Awesome! Thanks....what's the ply on these particular tires? Snow tires are good for a region where I hardly get snow? It's kinda like a off road tire?

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't have a specific recommendation, but I've had good luck with kevlar-belted tires.

9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The IceXi3 has two steel belts.

this is a 'better' tire but as you look at the tread it is aimed at pavement. I showed the 'ice' tires for a tread that would not get stuck on dirt.

Yokohama AVID Ascend (T-Speed Rated)

It also has two steel belts

10. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    That's more of a truck/SUV thing.
    I don't think they make anything except 2-ply belted in small car sizes anymore.

This might be a tough decision as one with low rolling resistance (best mileage) might NOT be the strongest one.

11. icspots

icspots Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Snow tires are good if you drive in an area which gets cold even if you're not driving on snow. They may wear more quickly though. Rule of thumb is temperatures consistently below 40 degrees snows are good.

As far as taller sidewalls. If you go down in wheel diameter you can go up in sidewall height. I believe the Prius C3 has 15" wheels, so you can go down to a 14" wheel and get another ~inch of sidewall (1/2" per radius) out of the change. If you already have 14" wheels then you don't really have wiggle room for a smaller diameter wheel as smaller than that and you may start impacting the brakes/suspension parts.

You can probably still go a littler wider on your sidewall on your current wheels, however as the outer diameter of the wheel goes up it will start affecting the accuracy of the speedometer and mileage calculations. Those are calibrated to a specific wheel outer diameter.

Tirerack has 14x6 alloy wheels starting around $80/ea. Alternately you could drop to a steel wheel for $45/ea. On those a 175/70R14 would keep your outer diameter the same. You could also go to a 185/70R14 with only very minor changes in the outer diameter.... you might be off by 1-3 mph.

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In recent years, I've concluded that the greatest safety factor in winter driving is traction on ice. Traction in snow is not hard to achieve with any reasonably open tread, but for ice, an optimum combination of tread-pattern and tire chemistry come together for an additional margin of safety when icy conditions appear, and they can appear virtually anywhere unexpectedly.

I was driving up the QE2 highway in the winter of 1987 (then called the No. 2) when I chanced to look across the median, and saw a Toyota pickup similar to mine on it's side, reflected in the moonlight. Before I could give it much thought, I looked ahead and saw that I wasn't pointed straight ahead anymore. Traveling at 70 mph at night and losing directional stability is very disquieting to say the least. Thankfully, the icy patch was very short, and it gradually faded out, just so that I could regain control as traction gradually returned. My theory is that it was a micro-burst of freezing rain that happened to hit a small patch of highway.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You'd really want to check brake clearance before embarking on a diameter reduction. I'd just go with an XL rated tire in stock size, if available, next time I needed new rubber, and other than that take my chances. Nothing's going to be impervious to punctures, ultimately.

14. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    We hardly get snow in this area. It's the desert. My main concern is the wear on the tires...I go through so many of them because a lot of the roads I drive on are not paved. I just do a lot of driving anyways.

15. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have a recommendation for a tire that wears out less? I have no concern for snow or weather problems.

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Yokohamas I showed features great treadwear, a 800 rating.

17. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you!

18. Britt Jacobsen

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What is a Kevlar belted tire? Is it better on wear to the tread?

19. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would not recommend a winter tire for such use. During higher temperature days you will chew up the soft compound and ruin the tires rather quickly, defeating the entire purpose you are trying to achieve.

You don't have any XL rated options in your size so that's out. I would suggest finding an H-rated tire because it will li,ely be the most robust option with more or thicker cap plies to handle higher speeds. Then look for a tire with a high UTQG and tread wear warranty. This will usually mean it's as harder compound and less likely to be worn down on gravel roads quickly. Sharp gravel tends to dig into tire rubber easily and get wedged into tread gaps causing deeper wear.

You may be able to use a 185/65/15 as it is only .5" taller than your stock tire. It's the OE size for the Gen 2 Prius and there are a lot of tire options. I can't say for certain if it will clear everything but I'm sure someone has tried.

xpcman and Mendel Leisk like this.