1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Tires for 2009 Prius Please

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by daisy555, Aug 14, 2017.

1. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!

Kevin just recommended Continental tire (forgetting name) and wondering if anyone else has a good recommendation. The Continentals look good although reviews state not great on ice.

Tires seem to wear so much faster than their rating.

Safety, handling, low noise and tread wear are all a priority. As I mentioned to Kevin I don't understand why there isn't a good solid tire that is decent with all of these. So many brands and so many unhappy customers.

Thanks!

Maria

2. Travis Decker

Travis Decker Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Continental true contact! No all season tire is really good on ice but the Continentals did fine in snow for me

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    drive slower on ice, if you absolutely have to go out.

WilDavis likes this.
  4. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. I do avoid when possible. What tires do you buy? : )

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have michelin energy saver a/s. i don't think they are rated well on ice though. other than that, they are smooth, quiet, great mpg's and good in wet weather. i'm retired, so don't drive much until the roads are plowed.

WilDavis likes this.
  6. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was told they don't make your tire anymore. Defender replaced it I guess. I don't have to go out until roads are plowed as well. I've just been stuck in a few storms over the past years. I'm thinking of getting the continental unless someone convinces me other wise. : } Thanks!

7. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Continental True Contact or True Contact with Ecoplus technology?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't argue with that. does michelin premier work? i put those on my wife's hycam, and we have been very pleased.

9. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never mind the ecoplus. Looks like the True Contact has ecoplus technology as well. Thx

10. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin Premier looks really good too although a bit more expensive. Interesting that as tire wears new tread groves appear.

11. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have another thread here, that I actually started about a year ago on General Altimax RT43. They went through a nasty winter, with snow, ice and LOTS and LOTS of rain and they were Champions through it all.

I was considering the True Contact at the time I bought the Generals. I am very happy with them and they are much cheaper than the Conti.

You might want to read through that thread before you spend the big bucks on the Tubby Tire Man tires or the Conti.

General Altimax RT43 -- review | PriusChat

If history holds true, General is either having a rebate on them now, or will shortly.

But, in my opinion, after a year, buying any other tire is a waste of $$ unless it is cheaper.....

Great treadwear so far, on the Altimax, also.

It's a sleeper tire. Everyone overpays for the Michelin Man or the Continentals, but the Generals are a great find.

Read through the thread referenced above...off soapbox....

12. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Steve...you are going to laugh. The tires I'm replacing are General Altimax RT43. : } They have been fine on Prius so far but almost due to be replaced at 40,000 miles of use. I had them on Pontiac Vibe (twice) and they wore terribly on that car although traction was good. I do rotate regularly and check pressure. I must say they were wearing evenly on the Prius.

I was so upset when they said my flat tire was trashed but they said I would have needed tires before winter anyway so trying to stay positive! I didn't know General was made by Continental. We have too many choices in the US!!

Really appreciate your feedback. I think I need to experience a different tire and see how it goes. Tire buyer rep told me the M Defender and True Contact are pretty comparable. He said I would notice an improvement in feel from the Altimax.

13. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Oh boy...I read through thread you posted. Now I'm going to loose sleep over possible loss in MPG.
    : / I consistently get 49mpg during summer months with General Altimax. I will be so bummed if new tires lower mpg.

14. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some people get confused, the earlier version of the Altimax had terrible treadwear -- wore out early. According to all reports, the new RT43 has much improved treadlife.

I know you said you had a couple of different sets of the Altimax, probably the first set was before the newer RT43.

Whatever. I am very happy with it, but Michelin and Conti will be quite happy to take your money for any of their tires and no issue with me. For me the $200 in savings was quite an incentive for the Generals.

We got about 23K from the OEM tire when the car was new. Depending how and where you drive, and whether you rotate regulary 40K is not horrible.

I thinking I will probably get some 45K to 50K out of these, which I am happy enough with. Understand, that puts the car at 150K, which is when I would probably be thinking of getting rid of it anyway.

#14 Stevewoods, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  15. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Yes....I think my first two sets might have been the older version. Shocking how quickly they wore down. I'll sleep on it I guess. In the mean time enjoying my bright yellow spare tire.

16. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    City Tire is telling me the thread pattern on Michelin Defender has better traction for snow. He doesn't care which one I get but he apparently put the Defenders on his sisters care over the Continental because of tread pattern.

Has anyone had experience comparing these to Continental True Contact. True Contact would be almost $100 less due to $70 rebate. Thanks!

17. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have defenders on both of mine right now, and I like them. The mileage suffers a little bit vs some of the LRR tires, but it's not a big enough difference that I think it matters. Ride is good, and they're supposedly good for 90,000 (I'll be happy if my cars live that long). Before that I had Pirelli P5s (liked them a lot) and the bottom of the line Firestone (did not like, they just came with the car when I bought it). I can't speak to ice or snow performance, but the Defenders seem good enough in the rain.

18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!

19. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I went with the Continental True Contact. After making my decision the tire guy showed me in person why he put the Defenders on his sister's car. Apparently the tread grooves on Defender are consistent throughout the life of the tire but the True Contact's loose some of the tread groves halfway through life of tire. Seems a bit crazy if this is true. Oh well....maybe I'll try Michelin the next time. Getting a flat never seems to coincide with desirable tire rebates but Continental worked out this time. Thanks again!

bisco likes this.
  20. Ardie

Ardie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had Defenders on my 07 but found them very poor on packed snow and ice in Minneapolis. The car couldn't get going from a stop on packed snow. Just sat there transferring power back and forth between front tires. That gets scary making turns in front of oncoming traffic. The Continental true contact are much better in snow and ice. Both brands have worn well and mileage is similar. I currently have an 06 and 07 Prius with true contacts on each. The one drawback we have had with the true contacts is hydroplaning that has been scary enough to make me plan in switching to something else. I absolutely loved these tires until that happened a couple times on both cars. Perhaps Generals next round.