1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tires for Gen III Prius from Discount Tire?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by d4foster, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    The Nokian WRG3 is a LRR true winter tire... rated as such, but also designed for year round use. I don't think that either the Fuel Max or EP422 are winter tires, just all seasons with LRR afaik.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is correct and the WRG3 comes with all the short comings of a winter tire used out of season. They are a great choice for true winter weather. I should have been more clear. For those wanting an all-season tire with Max fuel economy and snow traction then the tires I mentioned above are your best bet. :)

3. d4foster

d4foster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just for a little update... I had my WRG3's put on in the middle of the fall... Here in Michigan we have had one of the coldest winters on record. Now, this has not reflected well on MPG's (we are averaging around 38MPG) but the handling these tires have provided is second to none. As I mentioned earlier in the post, we bought the Prius in late august after selling our AWD Saturn Vue. This Prius, with these tires handles just as good if not better than the Saturn in the snow. It must be hilarious to watch a little Prius pass trucks and full size cars on the road during a snow storm but this puppy is amazing. I'm anxiously excited to see how they perform in summer months and what this will do to our average MPG. So far, so good. Thank you @Roland1555 recommending these tires. I'll never forget my conversation with one of the tire guys as I asked for this tire. They replied saying it was only a winter tire. I basically told them to do a little more research on the tire. When I came back in another time he apparently did that research and said that he was wrong. In fact, he found that this tire is purchased by many Prius owners and not one of them have complained. I am one of those. Great tire!

Roland1555 likes this.