1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Tires for Houston

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by eterry2, May 22, 2011.

1. eterry2

eterry2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I need to replace the original tires on my 2008 Prius. I live in Houston, which means warm or hot weather for much of the year.

also, we get quite a bit of rain, usually (we're in a draught now, lol)

What do you suggest? Thanks guys.

2. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I have stated in numerous other threads.I use the Bridgestone ecopia ep422's and absolutely love them.Compared to stock tires they have a much better wet weather performance and are much quieter.I also noticed roughly a 3 1/2 mpg improvement in fuel economy.

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Michelin Energy Savers or the MV4 I think it is? I like Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max but they are a all season and have a H89 rating.We do get the occasional snow flurry! Hal

4. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I forgot to mention I have now put 12,000 miles on these tires and show virtually no sign of wear.I rotate tires every 5,000 miles.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've driven in Houston. I recommend something run-flat, armor plated, with big spikes sticking out of the sides. That should get you around most of Houston, but is a bit light for Westheimer.

Tom

6. eterry2

eterry2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks QB, actually I"m up in the burbs (Kingwood), but my daughter's apartment is near Westheimer, near the Montrose area. :)

7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How often would your Prius see snow?

Bridgestone EP100 if snow performance is not an issue, E422 or Michelin Energy Saver A/S. Energy Saver is on back order nation wide good luck

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Continental ContriProContact with eco plus are another good option although they never post $70 rebates like Michelin of Bridgestone. :(

I would check into the Michelin Primacy MXM4 if you cannot get the Energy Saver A/S. They are LRR and have a very high treadwear rating. They are OE on high end luxury cars like Lexus and Mercedes. I'll be purchasing these for my 17" wheels. They rate very high for wet braking performance. I'd love to see these tested against the Ecopia 422. My money is on the Michelin. :p

Here is the complete list of choices:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...resistant-replacement-tires-current-list.html

9. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius experiences Heat (upto 110 F), heavy rain (no snow) and mountians in So Cal. I replaced mine with Goodyear Assurance Fuelmax. Performance on all heat, rain and mountains is much much better than the stock integrities. The fuelmax's are rated A for Temperature. Not too expensive either as the Michilin Hydroedges. I had bough mine from discounttiredirect.com, they have 8 in stock in texas as of now. Free shipping no tax for me (they may charge you tax in Texas).

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires

10. eterry2

eterry2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks all. I've got some reading to do.

snow? hardly ever, and the once every few years that we do get snow, it rarely sticks to pavement. Being from NY, I know snow, and we Houston does not get snow. lol.

no mountains, very flat.

hot and humid

lots of rain, at times.

11. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I really like my Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max! I have used Hydro Edge, Dunlap LRR and Integrity's and none of the come close in any conditions. Noise , handling, Wet or FE. They are one heck of a tire In my view. Hal

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max are workin' fine for me in Dallas.