1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Tires for Longevity and Mileage on primarily Flat Terrain

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by Erin Rothchild-Realtor, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Erin Rothchild-Realtor

Erin Rothchild-Realtor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Hello All,

Thank you for any insight you might be able to offer. Have a 2014 Prius V. Tires need to be replaced. Drive quite a bit as a Realtor on mostly flat terrain ( Houston area ). Drive in rain many days as well. Looking for a tire that holds the road well, gets decent mileage and holds up. Due to long days and crazy hours, would rather put a better to BEST long term tire on than an average or short term tire.

There are so many wonderful people on here with excellent input, would greatly appreciate your insight and input.

My email is [email protected]. There is an underscore between my first and last name. One other question, is there a way to add PRIUSchat as an app on my iphone, so I can see it during the day?

Warmly,

Erin

2. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I just returned a 2014 Prius V that I drove for a week. Now back to my 2010 liftback with Nokian WRG3's, which I am not recommending for your locale, despite them being great tires.

The 'V' I drove had Michelin Energy Savers AS installed, and I was impressed over all with them.... only drove in the dry and rain in warm conditions, but averaged 4.8 l/100km which is very good mileage for what it is worth. A week certainly doesn't count as a long term test.

Others may suggest Defenders or something, which may well wear for a longer time, but likely requires more in fuel costs, which you may well be able to write off.

Roland

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Michelin Defenders. (y)

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Ditto. 90K tread life.

5. xlnick

xlnick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have 60K miles on original tires - 2102 Prius V - I'll need tires soon - I'm leaning towards the Michelin Defenders in a few months when Costco has their next $70 off - I love Costco's price, service and warranty!
    This should be the last time I buy tires with a 90K tread life - I put on less than 15K per year. I'm also expecting a smoother , quieter ride! With 44 psi ( nitrogen filled, lifetime balancing and flat repair/road hazard ) , I'm hoping for the same or slightly better mileage than I'm getting now!
    Any opinions ???

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the defenders are not michelins best mpg tyres, but i don't know how they will compare to the oem's. they are supposed to be great tyres though.