1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tires for MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MScx6, Dec 30, 2012.

1. cary1952

cary1952 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok, new tires on rear, but why ever rotate tires then since front tires wear out faster?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is an old test. Some LRR tires have come a long way since then. Tires like the PureContact, ProContact and Primacy MXM4 offer excellent wet traction and decent fuel economy. :)

New Tire Tests from Tirerack.com | PriusChat

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are rotating them correctly there should never be a large difference in tread depth between the four tires.

Replacing only 2 at a time can get you in a bit of a bind with regards to rotations. If you know your climate well you can put the newer tires on the front during the non-wet season to try and wear them down to match the older tires. This is easy for folks in California but difficult for folks in Seattle.

cary1952 likes this.
  4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    [quote="ETP, post: 1888377, member: 49640"]A matter of opinion as I put the best on the front since it is front wheel drive and under high pressure. But I understand why people put the worst on the front to wear them out quicker. I just don't do that any more IMHO. To each his own.[/quote]

I stand corrected. Put the bad tires on the front.

BTW/ I always buy a set of 4 but not all people have a budget for 4 tires at one time.

LRR tires are not tires under light weight conditions you want to drive fast in the rain. Slow down and get better MPG anyway. The right lane is the good lane for me.

BTW, my personal experience with Michelin tires for a Civic Hybrid and 2009 Touring Prius were not good at all. Hard ride and my MPG went down. I could not go up to 42PSI without the road vibrating to whole car with every road imperfection.

5. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    Just returned my Michelin Defenders to Discount Tire for an exchange to Energysaver a/s.
    Mileage dropped from Mid-high 50's to barely 50.
    Several 48 mpg tanks.
    On the Energysavers today, I drove 200 miles and the mpg computer is still at 61.5 ( which will be about 58 in reality)

6. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Got 51 MPG on a regular basis with Goodyear Assurance tires on my 07 Prius. Just don't buy "cheap tires" unless you enjoy getting really bad gas mileage!! Stick with the good stuff!,

7. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I want my tires to wear properly and evenly, so I will rotate my tires at the proper interval as the owners manual says and replace all 4 at once.

Galaxy Nexus ? 4