1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best tires for the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gqscientist, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Scallywag

Scallywag Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What a coincidence! My baby came from the dealer with Uniroyal Tiger Paws on it. The Defenders not only provided an mpg increase, but are worlds apart in terms of having superior traction in every condition I've experienced. I replaced the Tiger Paws last November after they slid through some light slush and I popped one on a curb (the alternative was to rear-end another vehicle). The Defenders never slipped the entire, worse-than-average Ohio winter.

2. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I have Defenders on my car. They sure make the handling (steering) very good to my opinion.

3. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: I have 1279 km's on the new tires (about 1/2, I'm told, of what will be needed to break them in).

Observations on fuel economy effects (all corrections applied): The tires do effect any "acceleration from a standing start" fuel usage figures negatively. I find "in town" is the biggest hit so far. Steady state town and country at 80-90 kph is returning 4.6 L/100 km's (51.1 US MPG), whilst freeway at 100 kph is 5.0 L/100 km's (47.0 US MPG).

Historical "summer" fuel use rates have been 4.62 L/100 km's (50.9 US MPG) and since my switchover, my current "summer" fuel use rates are 4.99 L/100 km's (47.1 US MPG)....a fuel economy hit of 8.5% .

I have been told with the larger diameter tires that the MFD fuel economy reading will more closely mirror reality and I can concur. The MFD reading is now so close to actual spread sheet numbers that it is a "rounding error" (i.e. last tank MFD reading was 4.9L /100 km's and actual number was 4.97L /100 km's.

4. Handygeek

Handygeek Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just put 4 new Continental ProContact EcoPlus 185/65R15's on our 2006 & fuel mileage dropped from 41 to 36MPG and stayed there for the first 150+ miles.
    As I understand things - new tires take a little while to break in ... any idea how many miles before the mileage improves?
    Right now the tire pressure is stock - just so we can get a point of reference - after which we'll up the pressure some.
    Thanks!

5. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. jaqueh

jaqueh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I like the Yokohama Avig ENvigor. Fuel economy is at most 3mpg penalty, handing in wet and dry is fantastic. Longevity doesn't seem too bad nor is the road noise.

7. sambojoho

sambojoho Proud conservative

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just drove through heavy rain in my new Michelin Defenders . Huge improvement over the Uniroyals on it before.

iPhone ?

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I like my Michelin Defenders. Quiet and smooth ride plus excellent handling.

9. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would it be safe/legal to mix tyre sizes eg 205 on the front, 195 on the back. My fronts need changing but rear are still ok

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You do not say in your avatar where in the world you are, and this makes a difference to the answer to your question. I assume because your using 195's you have 16 inch wheels. So you have a US touring model or a European Prius.
    In the UK it is legal to run different sizes front to rear "not side to side".
    It is possible that at speed you may get the VSC/ABS lights flashing because of the slight difference in wheel speeds with the different size tyres. However some here on PC have done this without problems.
    I would put the 195's on the front since the fronts ware faster than the rears so changing to the same size all round wil be faster. The overwhelming consensus of opinion says the tyre with the best grip should be on the rear of the car.
    Please update your avatar as this helps us help you.

John (Britprius)

ijim2011 likes this.
  11. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran 195s on the rear and 205s on the front for about 5 thousand miles with no issues. I have 205/55/16 all round for summer and 195/65/15 for winter now.

I generally put the tyre with the best grip on the front, but not all people do (on a FWD car, best on the rear on a RWD car & change all together on a AWD car, but that's my choice which not all agree with)

As John stated, here in Ireland you're allowed to mix tyre sizes, but must keep the same sizes on the same axle

Your call and your country/region may be different

lar.smith42 likes this.
  12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tony I have always used the same arrangement as yourself, and continue to do so. The reason for my carefully worded post is to get the OP onto the same size tyre all round as quickly as possible and to save an avalanche of posts saying don't do this.

John (Britprius)

13. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, we do things differently here in Western Europe!

In fairness, i changed to the 205s as soon as I could as I wasn't 100% happy with the different sizes (only 'cause I'm a bit of a tyre nerd!) , but it really makes little difference as the difference between a 195 & a 205 is so little.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The difference in the feel of the car with the larger tyre is remarkable. I cannot believe that in the US 185's are used these must be terrible.

John (Britprius)

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    John,

I still run my 2004 Prius on 185/65HR15 tires here in the northeast US . Handling is a function of tire construction as well as size/profile. Handling was terrible with the OE tires (Goodyear "Lack of Integrity") but somewhat improved by pumping up the psi to 42/40. When I switched to Michelin MVX+ tires, handling was significantly improved and is even better with the Nokian tires (WR, WRg2) that I currently use (all at 42/40 psi).

JeffD

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The OEM tres in the European market were 185/55/16 Bridgestone Ecopea ER300's. These were very noisy tyres that got louder as the tread depth reduced. Even with the pressures increased they followed every line on the road, and the car changed direction at the slightest puff of wind.
    Changing to 205/55/16 Hankook Eco Kinergy was a revelation in how a car should feel, and handle. Now along with a quiet ride, and improved mpg .
    I am now using Goodyear Efficientgrip 205/55/16's and the car has maintained most of the improvements of the Hankooks except they do not seem quite as precise in the steering input Probably due to the very soft sidewalls. Still an excellent tyre, but will not last as long as the Hankooks.

John (Britprius)

17. Tony D

Tony D Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm the same with the Goodyear efficient grips in a 205. Very happy except, I think that they're not going to last too long. I have my winters on now, so will not have to worry about them until next March/April. They are very quiet, very good when it comes to wet grip and mpgs, it's the longevity that lets them down, but sure you can't have it every way!

18. 08GRAYtour

08GRAYtour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Untitled.jpg

Replaced original Bridgestone Ecopea to AltiMAX RT43

Very happy!!!

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The RT43 doesn't look particularly fuel efficient but it's not bad either. It is nicely priced and performs very well!

20. SWprius08

SWprius08 SoCalprius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the defenders in size 205/60/15, after about 6000 miles are so I now get about 45, initially it dropped down to about 40. Loving the handling and comfort. Before this I had 195/65/15 GY Fuelmax were descent better then the OEM's but wanted to try something else as I felt something was missing, defenders are certainly more comfortable then the Fuelmax. .

Okinawa likes this.