1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Ultra LRR 15" Tires Available since Energy Savers are Gone?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by WilliamP, Dec 7, 2021.

1. WilliamP

WilliamP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cannot find Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires anywhere in the 15 inch 195/65r15 size. I heard they were the best for MPG, and quiet too (my two main criteria for a tire). Are these tires available seasonally, and will reappear in the summer? What tires are the best for prius MPGs now?

2. ken2116

ken2116 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I also haven't been able to find Mich Energy Savers in this size (Late 2022). I too would like to know how other tires perform - our 2019 Prius came with Dunlop Enesave-01 tires which we replaced at 42,000mi. (4/32in remaining tread) with another set of the same. At 65,000 total miles the second set is performing about the same as the first, ~63mpg indicated (~ 1mpg over true) when warmed up with mixed town and 65-70mph freeway driving in summers, up to mid. 70's on 55mph state roads over rolling hills and through towns in NY state and New England, and low 50's at 80mph on interstates, the latter varies up and down substantially with wind speed and direction.

Tire design has.a huge effect. between the two sets of Dunlops we tried Michelin Defenders for several weeks, they were fine in almost every respect but mileage dropped 18% with them and promptly returned to par when we exchanged them for the second set of Dunlops. Whether the Dunlops were new or worn hasn't appeared to make much difference in indicated mileage, though there should be some.

3. ToyotaTed

ToyotaTed New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I recommend, Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus - 91S :)

GoodOldBob likes this.
  4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Since you in the snowy north, I suggest that you look at "All Weather" tires. Some choices (they are all LRR) in decreasing cost are: Michelin CC+, Nokian WRg5, General AltiMAX 365 AW.. I have used Nokian WRs for 15 years on 3 Prii and I have the General AltiMAX 365AWa on my significant other's Subaru Crosstrek.

JeffD

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Go with defenders and just grind your teeth for the first few months?

6. castironmailbox

castironmailbox New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I have a 17 Prius 2 ECO as well and mine came with Michelin Defenders which wear extremely well and are the 2nd best for LRR. that's what i'm told. i'm getting excellent mileage depending on the temp. i do 'manual ev mode' every chance i get. Best range 1.8 miles on the battery. i always gas up on a fully charged battery. then run on the battery until empty. Summers was in the low 70s. lowest in bitter cold upper 40s.