1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best under-seat subwoofer 2015 prius C?

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by Merp, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Merp

Merp New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have spent a couple hours perusing these forums, but it looks like a lot of the posts about under-seat subwoofers are very out of date. I have a 2015 Prius C3, and I'm looking for the easiest way to fill out the low end of my sound without sacrificing storage space. Ideally, I'd like a sub installed under the passenger seat with self-contained power and amp. I'm not looking to wake the neighbors, but I really miss hearing low end, especially at freeway speeds. I also want to keep the car as stock as possible.

From older posts, it seems like two options are the Kicker Hidaway, which can't QUITE fit under the passenger seat, and the Sound Ordinance B-8PTD, which does fit under the seat but has sad frequency response compared to the Hideaway (40-200 Hz).

There are a ton of new under-seat style amps on amazon that have only appeared in the past year or two. Has anybody tried any of them out? Ideally, I'd like to install myself.

2. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I have this under the passenger seat and sounds great, fills in the bass.

ttps://http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Compact-Enclosed-Subwoofer/dp/B00BO8O9XQ

3. Merp

Merp New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, saw that one and I saw you post a couple of times about it. Seems like it's a better option than the sound ordinance for sure, but I'm curious if there is another option with a better frequency response. (Sound Ordinance = 40 Hz, Kenwood = 35 Hz, Kicker = 25 Hz).

The kicker doesn't quite fit, right?

4. sph101

sph101 Prius 4

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four

No, I had that one in my 2012 and it was in the hatch area, eventually I put it under the foam next to the spare tire to get the full hatch area back.

5. Merp

Merp New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    How well did that work? Sounds like a pretty good option to me, if you can keep the tire!

6. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have the sound ordinance and it does a pretty good job of rounding out the bass. Not the sub sonic frequencies, just bass. I would recommend it. I'm not sure how any pancake sub is going to really push the super low frequencies. Just buy from a place that has a good return/exchange policy in case you don't like the performance of the sub.

7. blackbelt

blackbelt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I have to agree with sph101. I have the same sub in my wifes smart fortwo and it does a great job of filling in the bottom and is clean! I checked out a lot of options before deciding on this, and i am 100% happy with my choice after a year. Plus it's pretty reasonable.

8. viscositosis tribocessive

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Alpine PWE-S8. FTW.

Class D amp makes the difference.

And my sensitive, discerning ears are used to Focal K2 power seperates.

#8 viscositosis tribocessive, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  9. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a liftback but I just had one of these put in. Had the kenwood unit under the driver's seat and it sounded good when parked, nice and tight, but it would tend to disappear for me once the car was moving and road noise intruded. Not sure if that would be different on a C, or if maybe the installer messed it up somehow. Replaced it with the kicker one and had it installed by a much better shop and it is considerably louder and sounds good. I'm happy with it.

The underseat sub definitely does a lot to improve on the factory radio in the liftback. I am not sure how the C radio sounds but if it's similar I would highly recommend installing one.