1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Wax or Polish (spray or liquid) for black 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by luvmypriushybrid, Apr 26, 2011.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Scratch X is a very fine polish. I can only guess that you misapplied the product. I've had too many good results with it to not recommend it. You need to really work it in till you can feel heat building up in the rag and your finger tips. At this point the clearcoat is actually melting (on a very tiny scale) and filling in the scratches. You'll feel the surface resistance greatly diminish when this happens and most of the product is no longer visible.

Back to my Glare recommendation. Here's a pic of our Cube after getting the "glare treatment". Note: this car was approximately 2 years old, never spent a day in the garage, primarily washed at the nearest self car wash with their brush (groan), and had never had a waxing or polish since leaving the dealership.

[​IMG]

Disregard the missing mirror cover. *cough* wife did it *cough* ;)

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was Scratch X 2.0 which is different and there was no way to misapply it (I used a baby butt soft cotton cloth).

The 2.0 marred the clear coat 'real good'.

Fixed it with Scratch Doctor. Anyrate, that stuff is for one off scratches, not refinishing a car as OP mentioned swirls all over.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not an issue of misapplication but not working the product long enough for the abrasives to break down. SW03ES explained it well in a different thread:

Even professionals who dislike Zaino products are known to use Z-PC Fusion and that causes hazing like hell (as it contains no filler) if you don't work the product long enough or finish with a better finishing polish. However, they have the proper tools to work it in more easily compared to doing it by hand.

4. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I absolutely love Meguiars Ultimate compound applied with a Porter Cable 7424 random orbit polisher. You can not hurt clearcoat with a random orbit polisher. There is no way that Meguiars Ultimate compound hurt any clearcoat if it was properly applied. You have to work it until it is essentially gone ... that way you are continually breaking down the compound into finer and finer particles, thus finishing the polishing with a gradual and lighter and lighter cutting action.

Been using it on clearcoat for years ..... ultimate compound is really made for machine work ... I would never use it by hand ... any compound for that matter.

REV

5. Shervon

Shervon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use Turtle Wax Black Box and LOVE it. It's only about $20 too. However it's like a 4 step process so be sure you have an entire afternoon committed to this if you're doing it alone.

Turtle Wax Black Box

6. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do auto part stores have quality wax products or are they just priced higher than Walmart? Would like a nice wax and trying to decide where to buy or if mail order is the only option. I live in NW Arkansas so not a lot of high profile detailing shops...

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Order online from autogeek.net. They run sales all the time. 15% off, free shipping, buy 1 get 1 free.

For a dark colored car I would go with a synthetic sealant topped with a carnauba for maximium shine.

I am quite happy with the DP Max Wax on my car.
    MB860 ?

Attached Files:

8. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. yabi

yabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm another fan of Zaino. I have used their products for years and have had great results. I used to use their 7 step system when their products were not as advance, now you can achieve the same results in just 3 steps. Their customer support is super friendly as well. In the past I have emailed them about the best products to purchase for certain colors, and how to fix certain paint problems. Always got a quick and helpful response. They are pricey, but worth it.

10. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would also agree with others...Zaino is a great product. I have a 2011 Black Prius and the Zaino products just make the black pop.

11. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    REJEX. Easy to apply, doesn't discolor plastic, shines great, and lasts a long time.

12. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. harbormaster

harbormaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't have a Black one but have a Red one. Have began using Liquid Glass on a tip from a body shop guy. Wow, stunning results.
    Very durable and easy to use, easy on and easy off.
    Not cheap though - $24 a can but it does go a long way. Have done all my cars and have plenty left.

14. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  15. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, I spoke w a Zaino rep and he actually talked me out of this kit? Said it wasn't necessary. Told me what to get and said this was all I needed. "Nothing more, nothing less" were his exact words:

Z-7
    Z-AIO
    Z-5
    Z-6

16. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use all Maguiars stuff. I like it all .... just as good as the 'boutique' stuff as far as I'm concerned, you can get it anywhere, and it's half the price.

It's just wax ... never seen ANY wax last more than about 6 months. You can make yourself crazy trying to analyze it.

REV

17. yabi

yabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    When I've contacted them directly and informed them the age of my vehicle, paint condition, and type of paint they usually tell me what items to buy for the best results. It's not surprising to hear that they gave you their own recommendations what to buy. It's one of the things I like about Zaino, their honesty.

18. Spaz

Spaz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used Zaino before in the past and was actually wondering what I should use with a black car, my last one was more of a charcoal color. Apparently I can still use that stuff. On the windows I normally use a marine wax...I can't remember who makes it and I ran out so I have to track a friend of mine down and look at his can, but the stuff is great for glass and lasts forever. Its like rain-x on crack. Sadly, I haven't put it on the prius yet, but I'm sure with such a steep windshield it would work perfectly.

19. yabi

yabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One side note for those ordering Zaino; if you have the leather package in your Prius, Zaino's Leather in a Bottle is fantastic. :)