1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best wax/polish for Winter Grey?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusRos, Aug 30, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used Zaino on my 06 Classic Silver and still have some product left over. Although I liked the glassy smooth finish and application wasn't difficult per se, it was a lot of work to apply all the layers and didn't seem to last long between applications. It was also hard to achieve a deep shine on the silver.

So now I have Winter Grey. I heard something on these chat boards about Zaino possibly darkening the color. I certainly wouldn't want to make it any darker because it's already very dark, but I do want to bring out the deep shine. I've also heard that a good carnuba wax brings out the color better than the synthetic polish on a dark color.

Do you have any recommendations specifically for dark colors such as magnetic grey? I would prefer something that isn't too time-consuming to use and that I can buy somewhere locally so I don't have to order over the Internet.

Or, should I use my Zaino?

All opinions/recommendations are appreciated.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I used the Klasse AIO glaze and sealant, then topped it with some S100 carnuba wax that
    I found at a Harley dealer on my silver Prius. The problem with silver is that it looked just as good before and after, but water beads up much more nicely now.

3. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is Klasse a synthetic like Zaino and you have to strip off any existing polishes before applying for the first time?

Yes, I found that the silver didn't look much different after all the work but just felt better. That's why I didn't like the silver.

4. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  5. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I asked about Zaino over on the Autopia forum and many people suggested Collinite #845 instead. It's supposed to offer better protection than Zaino and last 4-5+ months (this is the main thing I like) after each application. Several people mentioned layering it over some other sealant/wax so I don't think you would need to strip anything off to apply it. I believe Collinite might be some sort of carnauba/synthetic mixture.

Another bonus is that it's not very expensive ($10-15). Here it is on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Collinite-845-Liquid-Insulator-Wax/dp/B000AP1JUA

I bought the paste version on Ebay for $13 shipping included. Anyway, just thought I'd share. I've been reading about car care products for a week and I'm exited to use it. :D

1 person likes this.
  6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One Grand Blitz is my favorite wax:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...ing/62907-my-favorite-detailing-products.html

Great depth of color and shine (vs. unnatural shine of synthetics), easy application/removal, and last a long time for a carnauba.

1 person likes this.
  7. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to research this item but the name suggests something akin to a colon cleansing. Whatever, if it shines well they can call it &%$#@!!!

8. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has a winter grey lexus... The Zaino Z5 Pro does NOT make it look any darker than normal. To be perfectly frank, I think a carnauba wax like S100 or P21S makes the shine look deeper on darker colors while the Zaino makes the shine very shallow...

9. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm guessing you have the Z2 since you had a silver car. I think the rumor was that the the Z5 (for the swirls that darker cars tend to get) that may appear to darken the color, which JonS refutted. According to the Zaino site, the Z2 has higher optical properties and once you're happy with how the paint looks using Z5, you should finish with Z2 anyway.

Since you have some, I'd say use it and see if you like it.

10. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, actually I have them all and had used various combinations at various stages. The last purchase I made was for the Zaino All-In-One (AIO) and the Z-Clear Seal (CS). The AIO is the easiest because it's as it says, all in one. Then you finish up with the CS, which is kind of a spray-on shine. I decided today to take my car throught the carwash and then I used the Z-AIO and Z-CS, as a quick-and-easy fix for now. I don't think this treatment is long lasting but it's easy. I am still researching other options and may decide to stay with Zaino (using my Z2/Z5 etc.) or go with something else entirely.

11. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ...So, which one does your wife prefer on her Lexus?

12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL :D . Maybe that's what the Prius needs.

13. david19s

david19s New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use a product called Liquid Glass, a synthetic polish that is very hard about $25 a can. Also have great success wit Nu-Finish, an inexpensive synthetic, multiple coats and a deep shine, I really like it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    she thinks the carnauba wax looks richer...

15. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it okay to put carnuba wax over Zaino? Some people have recommended that.

I treated the car with Zaino All-In-One and Clear Seal yesterday. It looks very shiny, but I think the grey does look darker - almost black. The car does change colors according to the light, so it could just be that since polishing it I've been seeing it in a darker light -- but it's a little strange!

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Keep on applying until your car looks like mine :D

17. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, it does look almost black at times! I just can't make the wheels look as big as yours, though.

18. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, you can put wax over the Zaino... the only issue is that you will have to remove the wax before applying more Zaino on the car....

19. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, now I'm in a quandary.

A few weeks ago I applied a quick coat of Z-AIO followed by the Clear Seal spray. Last week I found a tin of Meguiar's Carnauba Wax, which had been lying around in my basement for goodness knows how long (at least 3 years) and decided to use that. The results were okay but I found it very hard work, using a lot of elbow grease, compared to Zaino. It was particularly time consuming getting all the wax off. Also, I had to take special care not to get it on the black trim. Is it normal with paste waxes to be such hard work, or is it because the one I was using was a little dried out due to age?

So my quandary is, should I start over with the Zaino or get another canauba wax? For Zaino, I'd have to do the Dawn wash to strip the wax, probably follow with the claybar, then start applying the Zaino layers. I have all the products, so that's not the problem, but it seems like a lot of work!

Another question, can the Zaino polish be used on the black trim? What about wheel covers?

1 person likes this.
  20. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I highly recommend spending some time at Autopia.org. Those guys are pro detailers or enthusiasts and really know their stuff...

I have Winter Grey and have been using Optimum products on it...the No Rinse is awesome and the spray wax is very easy to use and looks great. Its a blend of synthetic and carnauba...