1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best wax/polish for Winter Grey?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PriusRos, Aug 30, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I've used both -- at different times. Probably the last time was Z5.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So no ill effects from applying Z-CS over uncured wax (no smearing, etc.)? Interesting.

Regardless, applying Z-CS over carnauba wax should increase its longevity as opposed to not topping it.

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I read that after I posted. I don't know if OOS and Z-CS are similar but here is what Optimum says:
    "If there is any wax on the surface, Opti-Seal will dissolve it and the polymers will go to the surface and the wax will migrate to the top. This is due to the difference in the surface tension of wax and sealant."

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Kind of defeats the purpose of applying polymer sealant over carnauba wax. I don't don't know if Z-CS works that way, but maybe that's why they specifically say to apply Z-CS over wax only after it's cured.

5. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As I understand it, it's purpose is as a paint protectant not a wax sealant that's why they both say they can be used without anything else. The reason people use stuff on top of or underneath is for appearance and extra protection.