1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to accelerate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Semicharmedguy26, Dec 16, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it would be interesting if the car had a computer controlled acceleration mode. Tell it you want 35 MPH and it gets you there in the most efficient manner. You would have to have clear road in front of course. It wouldn't be a "use all the time" feature, but a "train the driver" feature.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I normally only watch the tach when I'm accelerating, once to cruising speed I watch current flow. As you accelerate, with the rpm constant, the fuel flow slowly drops as you get going faster, say to 50 mph, then as you back off on the throttle it drops to the normal ICE spin level, as the rpm normally drops down to 1050-1080 rpm where the ICE spins to protect MG1 from over speed. Normal idle rpm is about 1000 rpm, stopped in gear or park. That normally produces about +4 to +7 amps depending on the BSOC. on start off it'll drop down to -7 to -35 depending on how hard your on the throttle and once the ICE starts you get a few amps charge, in the +6 to +7 amps. Steep hills are normally a + charge of a few amps, what ever is left over from powering the MG2. Normal MG temps are in the range of 37C to 67C depending on OAT and terrain, long hill get you a higher temp. MG1 first to rise as it's smaller and the output goes to MG2 mainly, then slowly the MG2 temp starts to rise, once back on level ground they slowly drop MG1 first then MG2. I might as well throw in it takes about 16-17 amps to fire the ICE, that is a tough one to get as the scanner only updates date at a set rate and quite often misses the peak draw. So that is a guess from numerous looks at the scanner when the ICE fires. Sorry for the long winded post.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been consistantly getting 4 or more mpg per 5 minute interval when i accelerate slowly and not "briskly"

4. sparkymarvin

sparkymarvin Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've been told my teenage friend who I let borrow my Prius that the best way to accelerate is as follows...

Step 1... Depress and hold break pedal
    Step 2... Move toggle switch into N position
    Step 3... Release brake pedal
    Step 4... Fully depress accelerator pedal and hold
    Step 5... Shift toggle to "D"
    Step 6... Go

I would also like to add a step seven...

Don't let teenagers drive your Prius.

5. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak\";p=\"58343)</div>
    But aren't you measuring mileage over time instead of mileage over distance? In other words, you may be getting higher mileage bars but it may require more of them to get where you're going.

6. tntna

tntna New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tntna\";p=\"58164)</div>
    I drove the 05 Prius yesterday using a more brisk acceleration from complete stops. I would accelerate briskly until about 30-35 at which point I was either at the desired speed or the person in back of me is so far back that I can reduce the speed of acceleration. I saw a dramatic increase in mileage over the slow acceleration I usually use. I plan on using this method for a full tank to compare. Even though I have little to compare to.

On a side note, some of you are tired of me complaining about the differences between the 01 and 05 model, ie the 01 is a lot easier to get in EV mode compared to the 05. Some suggested a break in period was needed. We just topped 1000 yesterday. On my way home I noticed that the car was in EV mode on the same stretch of road that the 01 would be in EV mode. :) Happy days!

7. Batavier

Batavier Member

By 'brisk' I take it you don't floor it, right? I've been trying different modes of acceleration, but it's hard to notice much difference for me, because I do a lot of highway driving.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sparkymarvin\";p=\"58363)</div>
    :rofl: :lolup:

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"58270)</div>
    Canada IS a great country. So is the United States of America. I've been to the UK a couple of times and Germany once, and they seem nice too. Like any nice country, it gets ruined by lawyers, politicians, and criminals.

I think you will usually find all three rolled up into a single human being.

BTW: is there still a large influx of residents from Manitoba, NW Ontario, and Saskatchewan entering ND at Emerson to visit that Diagnostic Clinic? It's run by Diagnostic Medical Systems of Fargo, ND as a response to the +12 month wait times for CT and MRI scans in Canada. Canadians who can afford to do so will fork over +$1,500 for a quick scan.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lawyers, politicians and criminals...

you mean those are different people???

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deh2k\";p=\"58376)</div>
    But aren't you measuring mileage over time instead of mileage over distance? In other words, you may be getting higher mileage bars but it may require more of them to get where you're going.[/b][/quote]

Bingo!! The 5 min bars are worthless for determining actual mpg, esp. the short mpg gain or loss of a brisk or slow acceleration.

12. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know what you are getting at, but I noticed that using brisk acceleration for MULTIPLE times gave me 25 mpg for the first 5 minutes. (bar line is at the 25mpg mark) Then when I used slow acceleration, the first 5 minutes have been higher than the 25 mpg mark. This is driving it in multiple areas, multiple conditions, etc. etc. Think of it like an average of multiple conditions.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"58434)</div>
    Lawyer / Politician = Criminal. Agreed!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"58434)</div>
    Canada provides medical care to everyone. The rich can come to the U.S. and get excellent care sooner.

The U.S. provides excellent care to the rich. The poor go without. And the poor have no place they can go to get care. Hospitals are not permitted to turn away emergency cases, but in large cities (which Fargo is not) ambulances take the poor to overcrowded, overworked public hospitals where even emergency cases may have to wait a long time to be seen. And routine medical care is unavailable to the poor.

So which is better? Ration care on the basis of urgency, or ration care on the basis of ability to pay? I guess it depends on whether you are rich or poor. You are better off in the U.S. if you have buckets of money, or you are one of the dwindling number with union jobs and medical coverage. Otherwise you are better off in Canada.

In the U.S., the rising cost of insurance is cutting off more and more of the middle class.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"58497)</div>
    Pure demagoguery.

Like in any other profession, there are good and bad lawyers and politicians.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As far as the issue of acceleration, I haven't noticed much difference between slow acceleration and moderate acceleration, at least not in the city traffic I have to drive in. I will lose around 4 MPG if I really boot it.

As far as health care in Canada, it's bankrupt. Many provinces consider their health care situation as a "crisis." So it's really important to put down the rose colored glasses and see the world for what it really is.

16. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

health care in Canada is partially paid by income tax deductions and MSP premiums here in BC and I don't make a lot of money but I'm in the high 40% tax bracket and I feel robbed by the system we have. A lot of this thread should be in FHP Maybe Danny or Evan can shuffle it over there.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the slow vs. moderate acceleration debate, sign me up as a moderate. We can argue back and forth for days which is better for gas mileage . . . I surely don’t know.

My reasoning for being in the moderate camp is that of public perception.

Seeing enough slow Prii, the general public will get the false impression that the Prius is a gutless wonder. After seeing enough slow Prii in the lane ahead, drivers will start to change lanes to go around. . . much like we do now for large trucks.

Nobody wants to buy a gutless wonder with the acceleration of a semi!!! :x

Stop staring at your MFD and look in your rear view mirror at the expression of the driver behind you . . . that should tell you how hard you should step on the pedal . . .
    :x = step harder
    :eek: = lighten up there Speed Racer!

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"58512)</div>
    Ditto, though try close to 50%. That's why I incorporated and became a consultant! Let's continue this at FHP!

19. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Junior Member

As a Guide for people to know what brisk is considered.
    Would that mean that the ice is running and the EV (electric motor) and just when you see the additional power coming FROM the battery, is this considered brisk or is this too fast to use?
    I guess to say is it good to see the battery also kick in for power on acceleration or preferably not?

Thanks,
    Bryan

20. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco\";p=\"58454)</div>
    But aren't you measuring mileage over time instead of mileage over distance? In other words, you may be getting higher mileage bars but it may require more of them to get where you're going.[/b][/quote]

Bingo!! The 5 min bars are worthless for determining actual mpg, esp. the short mpg gain or loss of a brisk or slow acceleration.[/b][/quote]

I have a case in point. I was stuck at a left turn the other day for over five minutes. The five minute bar went to 100 mpg but I had only traveled about 50 feet. The mileage on the display was unchanged.