1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to do Long Term Storage?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Robert N Lute, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    At first I was seriously doubting this whole "Different Chemistry" thing....

BUT then I had that, duh your not very bright moment feeling....about myself.

I've personally enjoyed R/C cars & planes that use Li-polymer batteries & have built multiple large battery packs that use 18650 & my favorite 26650 Li-ion batteries.

Moral of the story: they're certainly different chemistry Li-ion batteries that can be bought right now, some are designed to have slow discharge rates & some are designed to have fast discharge rates.

Toyota certainly has the resources to custom develop a "chemistry cocktail" for their Li-Ion batteries that would allow the best charge & discharge rates as they see it.

Rob43

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried some online searching yesterday to see if I could find any info about possible differences (other than size & capacity) between Prime, PiP, & Prius Li-ion batteries. I came up empty. It's like it's beyond top secret from all I could learn. :confused:

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are all Gen4 regular Prius using Li-ion? I remember eAWD models are NiMH. Was there any Li-ion battery used on earlier Prius beside PiP?

4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As of 2020, only the eAWD is NiMH from what I gather on Toyota's website. In 2016, the trim 2 had NiMH according to the brochure I have. I haven't looked up what year they made the change but if I had to guess, I'd guess it was when they went from nice linear model numbers to cryptic arbitrary model letters.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2016-2018 Two and 2017-2018 One used NiMH. Two Eco and higher used Li-Ion.

2019 LE FWD, XLE FWD and Limited use Li-Ion. LE AWD-e and XLE AWD-e use NiMH.

The 2012-2017 Prius+ 7-seater used a Li-Ion battery mounted between the front seats (so the centre console box became a tray).
    Toyota Prius+ your questions answered - Toyota

#25 Tideland Prius, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I thought the AWD used NiMH? Maybe due to them being more popular in cold regions? Or I'm dreamiing?

#26 Mendel Leisk, Mar 29, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PRIUS+! This is the first time I've ever heard of it. Only in the EU market?

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whaaaaaaat?!? Yeah! Well, the Japanese version is called the Prius Alpha (with the greek letter alpha). Basically, other markets got 5 and 7 seat versions while we only got the 5-seat version.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait, Prius Alpha... Isn't it the same as Prius V in the US?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. All three are the same vehicle - Prius+, Prius Alpha and Prius v. (I see you didn't click on the link yet lol. Otherwise, you would've seen the photos)

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. I did not know they made 7 seaters of V in other countries. The third-row seats have to be for kids only.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are. It's quite small. Although Mat Watson appear to have just about fit inside.

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice catch. I think @Tideland Prius meant the opposite of what he wrote for the 2019 MY.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, his 2019 statement is just flipped. In other words, lower levels have NiMH, the rest have Li-Ion, except AWD which stick with NiMH. I added a quote now, to alert him.

Salamander_King and jerrymildred like this.
  15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The nice thing is that he has a super power. I'm pretty sure he can edit any post any time whether the time limit for editing has passed or not. :LOL:

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :unsure: Thanks. It's been fixed.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

17. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think I'm going to have to disagree with Toyota on this one.

Specifically, I'm thinking about this line from BU-1003a: Battery Aging in an Electric Vehicle (EV) – Battery University
    In my experience, the actual SoC ranges from 12%-88% so at the very least you don't want to leave your Prime at full "charge" or full "discharge" states for long periods. I don't know how the Li-ion chemistry for Prime's differ, but this site also suggests a storage charge of 30-40% BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University
    In short, I'd shoot for a little less than half of the charge level before extended storage.

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same for me. I'm annoyed as well. Somewhere in the past I ran across a reference that RAV4 Prime would be introducing an improved lithium chemistry. No detail was provided though. But even a basic reference is nice when the entire industry is stalled and we're all trapped at home.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I get the sense the only way to achieve any state-of-charge is to overcharge a bit, then drive around some, scrub off charge? Seems a little funky? Or no big deal?

20. CarlB

CarlB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So "0-20%" HV charge range is really on top of the 12% untouchable "real bottom end. The "100%" EV top end is really at the 87% limit. That means the "20%" HV top-end is really 27% of total battery capacity. Still a bit low for for 30-40% - but close.

So, I wonder what else happens as the car switches from EV to HV mode, to make the outcome of long term storage better? The manual:
    "
    ●Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time.
    After confirming that EV mode has switched to HV mode, turn the power switch off.

●Use the charging timer function as much as possible in order to fully charge the hybrid battery (traction battery) immediately before starting off. (P. 157)"

That second bullet - don't charge the battery up unless you're going to use it pretty soon. Doing that over multiple charge/discharge cycles means parasitic self-discharge really starts to add-up.

The self-discharge rate will be higher for higher charge level (I=V/Rparasitic, and higher charge => somewhat higher voltage so higher discharge current), so perhaps the Manual recommended charge level keeps the self-discharge rate lower. Which is probably better for the battery's long term capacity saving. Weigh that against finally heading down into the 0-12% after some amount of time, that also ends up causing reduced battery capacity.

It's probably a balance between the capacity reduction due to long term parasitic self-discharge, weighed against the capacity reduction that occurs when the charge drops too low. What level of charge maximizes the time before capacity reduction effects start to increase? Answer: probably that EV to HV cross-over charge level.

Interesting. But it does seem like the manual's recommended store at HV to EV cross-over charge level is relatively close to that 30-40% recommended by "Battery University."

#40 CarlB, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020