1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best Way To Get New Tires For The Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by qdllc, Dec 8, 2015.

1. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Normally, I'd just go to Wal-Mart or Sams Club and buy a set. That's worked fine so far. Low prices for tires that last a reasonable time.

Sadly, the recommendation for LRR tires for the Prius limits my options. Both places carry them, but they don't carry much, and they aren't the "best rated" ones (based on feedback on PriusChat).

Other places charge a lot more for tires, which is my chief objection to going to "tire shops." Is there a way to get the best price on tires I want and not have a hassle installing them? Most places I know won't mount a tire they didn't sell you.

2. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Discounttiredirect on eBay. They often have discounts and coupons.

iPhone ?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tirerack?

4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had good experiences with Discount Tire (America's Tire in some areas). Their prices are good and I believe they'll mount tires bought elsewhere.

I bought the Ecopias for my Prius from Costco.

What tire models are you looking for?

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You don't have to buy LRR tires and some LRR tires have less rolling resistance than others. There is a balance between purchase price, durability, handling, and expected fuel economy.

frodoz737 likes this.
  6. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recommend LRR if you like to play the mpg game. They do make a difference. They generally don't handle as well but the Prius is not a race car.

iPhone ?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

In your shoes, I'd just roll into Costco, get a set of Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 put on.

They may try to sell you on a TPMS sensor rebuild, basically replacing a few of the gaskets. The consensus seems to be just leave them alone.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All Tire Shops will negotiate price...most people are just not aware of that. You should realistically be able to talk the price down 10%-25% and get them to carry some add-ons. Been using Discount Tire and NTB for many years this way. Will not go to or send anyone to Goodyear or Firestone locations though. I trust Billy Bob's Butt Crack Shops more than them.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Individual priorities are up to....well, the individual.

Since I speculate that most people DO buy a Prius with the idea of maximizing gas mileage, I assume it's a priority with most people.

I think the easiest "mainstream" way to handle the tire purchase is an Ecopia purchase at Costco.
    That's probably the direction I'm heading when it becomes time to do so.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not interfere with one's choice, but if you want the Michelin Energy Savers A/S 65,000 mile tires (195/65R15 91T) manufacture code is 34184 when you order . They are out there, just don't buy the 50,000 mile version. Personally I still prefer the Defenders.

11. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have those on my Prius, needed to replace one. the one that arrived looks nothing like my original :eek:

m.wynn likes this.
  12. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I shop for tires on TireRack.com, then print the quote and take it to my local Discount Tire. Then, Discount Tire orders them from their supplier and mounts them. Often, they've beaten the Tire Rack quote if I pay up front for the entire job when ordering. They even honor the manufacturer's rebate without having to fill out and mail in. They just took the rebate off the price up front.

Grit likes this.