1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to hide TPMS warning light?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, Sep 12, 2019.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's the best way to cover up the TPMS warning light on the dash? A bit of electrical tape would work but it seems likely to gunk up the surface. As I understand it there is no way to permanently disable the circuit with TechStream.

That light is now lit because apparently one of the sensor batteries died. It is a 2007, and if all the sensors are original they were living on borrowed time. The dealer wanted my left nut just for a diagnostic, and the tire shop we usually use asks $123 to fix one and $87 more for any others. The thing is, I have this magic tool called a "pressure gauge" which is employed periodically, and I also am in the habit of walking around the cars to check the tires by eye, so I'm not at all worried about a slow leak. I suppose the TPMS might provide a few extra seconds warning if we ran over a nail on the highway, but other than that, it doesn't have much value. Certainly not the ~$400 it would cost to change the sensors on all 4 tires, because if I just do the one, another may very well go next month.

2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    1. Those prices are way high. You can buy aftermarket TPMS sensors for a lot less than that shop quoted you for a repair, so a bit of shopping around may be helpful if you do want to service or replace the TPMS.

2. If you do decide to abandon the TPMS, then just electrical tape over the light. You won't be removing the tape, so gunking the surface shouldn't be a problem.

3. Ignore the light. After a while, a constantly lighted warning light is soon ignored. We run snows on a car in winter with no TPMS and we pretty much ignore the light.

3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Don't suppose you have a Sam's Club membership? Much cheaper...

moto g(7) power ?

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Best way? Fix it.

Skibob and John321 like this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a copy of techstream? Can your copy access the TPMS feature? New Denso sensors are 32.79 each on Rock Auto and there has to be an independent tire shop near you that could do the swap. Then you just input the new code yourself.

Aegean and John321 like this.
  6. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I saw those on RockAuto. I don't know yet if any of the software I have can talk to the TPMS. In the meantime I called a couple of other shops and they were all very close to $120 to replace one sensor (they supply the sensor and program.) Kind of ridiculous that this sensor costs roughly as much to replace as a tire. One might have thought they could design a sensor that screws onto a shorter stem, with the weight landing on the rim. Basically just an electronic pressure gauge that can stay on the car. Then changing it would be roughly as difficult as changing the cap.

Duh, of course they have:

7. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The cap ones are interesting but I do wonder about the forces. The sensors can't weigh much, but once the tire is rotating at 700 RPM (about right for highway speed) that will apply some force to the valve stem and the tire as a whole. Perhaps the latter isn't enough to unbalance the tire significantly, but I suspect that stems in general, and those on the internal TPMS systems in particular, are not designed for any type of load at all (caps weigh nothing.) Also, if one uses the little lock nuts that come with these then adjusting tire pressure becomes a minor PITA. At least it is trivial and cheap to change the batteries on them, as they use CR1632 batteries and the two halves unscrew. Also the displays on these cheap units show much more information than do any of the car TPMS systems I have seen.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the little cap units were compatible with the Prius's system?
    It seems wildly unlikely though.

8. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I bought a used ‘14 Scion iQ back in 2017. I think three times now I’ve seen the TPMS warning light on, only to resolve itself later. The first time it happened I went to get out the tire goo service kit that came with the car, only to find out that the goo had been dispensed. Replacement Toyota tire goo is very expensive, more than Porsche tire goo ironically. (Cheapest tire goo I’ve seen so far is Tesla). I suspect it has something to do with that....

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the light was on because of stuff left unplugged behind the dash, imagine the frustration of paying some tire shop for new sensors and not solving the problem.

I imagine that reading the trouble codes from the TPMS computer (or discovering that the codes couldn't be read from it) would have helped distinguish between wheel sensor batteries and some other problem. Was that ever done?

11. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like a new and creative way to throw money down the drain.

Not by me. I was never motivated to fix this problem because for all practical purposes nothing was broken - the tire pressure is checked periodically in any case, TPMS or no TPMS. It would have been nice if the Prius's MFD was able to display the tire pressures, eliminating the (oh so slight) burden of having to carry a tire pressure gauge. I would have missed that convenience and might have spent some time trying to figure out the issue.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking the same.

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They can be read over the diagnostic port. ScanGauges with a later firmware rev than mine, I'm told, can show them.