1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

best way to increase household wi-fi coverage

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Feb 22, 2019.

1. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't agree with this enough. I have the AC1900 version and it's smokin' compared to what I was used to. Three floor house and I had various issues with coverage. Then I installed the NightHawk in the basement. I get coverage everywhere now, even in the yard outside. Had it for a few years now, so I'm sure they're available cheap or newer models are even better.

Greenteapri and Salamander_King like this.
  2. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love my nighthawk. All my problems went away when I bought my alien-spider router. 20190301_122545.jpg

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good router fixes many problems. I use an Asus AC-5300 Tri-band 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/5Ghz router. I get speeds over 1Gbps over the air. It covers about 8000sqft of house plus the entire lawn and road infront of the house. I connect to the Wifi from inside the car on the road by the driveway. This thing never needs rebooting, but can automatically do it.

Didn't look like a spider to me. More like a fortress of doom... I paid full MSRP when it came out, worth every penny. Now you can find them used on ebay for under $100 if you look. Put one in my mom's house too (eBay find) and she has stopped having problems with the printer on the other side of the house "not working" i.e. disconnecting from the previously super old router I installed in 2008...

ac5300.jpg

Greenteapri likes this.
  4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for posting this. Yep, some might no know what a mesh network is.

Anyway, the OP wanted something for coverage that is reasonably priced. A mesh network fits that category perfectly.

You can find three node google Wifi setup for reasonable prices. Alternatively, you can buy a single node and then add nodes as needed. There are some great prices on single nodes on Ebay. I think folks buy the three node package and split them up for sale on Ebay.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would actually recommend against a mesh setup in this case. From her previous comments and just being around a while I imagine she lives in a smaller house. Having 3 APs in a small space will cause all sorts of contention and depending on where your device connects it might make lots of wireless hops to get to where it's going. Additionally, lots of devices today have a type of WiFi algorithm that basically is always looking out for the next best thing. It connects but then actually disconnects briefly, scans and tests other networks, especially those it is authorized to. So having 3 competing signals in a small space, lots of newer device might hop around all the time. This breaks streaming and speeds. Of course there are techie solutions to all these problems, but given the level of questioning I would say setting up these solutions like a true commercial property would be out of line. Therefore I would say just blast the area with a super strong single access point. Simple solution.

6. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Google Wifi mesh nodes have no traditional 'contention' in the sense you are thinking of. They do NOT act as 'separate access points'. Instead, they all work together as a single access point. As for the external channel you connect to...it automatically seeks out the best external channel. Trust me, I live in an area with lots of channel contention and the Google Wifi network has been absolutely rock solid. Believe me, I was very skeptical at first and have had very powerful single access point routers as mentioned above...but have always had issues with reduced signal strength in the far reaches of the house. The mesh network solved all of that. As for performance, we have many high definition video streams going at once in all areas of the house without any hiccups whatsoever. Our other routers would hiccup every now and then with multiple streams going on. On top of that, Google Wifi has been the easiest network to manage. The Google Wifi app is great and makes setting everything up incredibly easy. It also has built in internal (mesh) and external bandwidth testing built in.

7. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Leaning toward Google Mesh, figure two units would do it and it would be simple. House is old, lots of brick, plaster -- in other words real walls.

One unit upstairs in the spot the d-link now occupies and one downstairs just outside master bath, which should cover all downstairs as well as the outside patio. The $200 is bit more than I want to spend, but the dozens of glowing youtube vids have me convinced.

Going to wait a week or so and look at the options again before making the plunge -- I have been known to change my mind many times in mid-stream....

farmecologist likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depending on how old your house is, it could get interesting. At work we had to provide Wi-Fi access to an old stone mansion that was being converted into a mini B&B. Due to the stone & metal lath under the plaster, we needed to put a small wireless access point in every room to get decent coverage with our enterprise Wi-Fi system.
    The metal lath acts like a Faraday cage screen, blocking the signal.

9. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Interesting. Yeah, I'll admit that while our google wifi mesh netwok works better than anything we have had previously, we don't have masonry or metal, etc...so YMMV.

10. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    House is somewhat of stacked rectangle.

Depending on the day, I mnay be able to coax an O.K signal on the bottom floor of the house in the absolute farthest corner away from the corner the current router calls home on the upper floor -- pretty fair distance.

In other words, from the top right hand corner to the bottom left corner _- and it might last for 30 minutes or more before it fades away. Like that through the rest of the bottom floor too, as well as outside -- good signal throughout second floor.

Only device using wifi here is the laptop. No smart phones unless I have a guest over. No "smart home devices"

I figure with the Google, worst case is I have to go three routers (I probably will go ahead and buy the three pack as you can get them for around $220 - vs. $200 for two of the units,

11. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    FYI - back when I was shopping for them I could get a node for around $90-$100.

12. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen the singles for $85-$125. Various vendors seem to put the three-pack on sale for around $220-$230 every few weeks. MSRP for the three right now is around $260.

#32 cyberpriusII, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  13. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I have stated in an earlier comment, I really think your bottleneck is DSL. If all you want is to be able to receive signal downstairs, rather than spending hundreds of dollars on a new router, mesh or else, which will not increase the speed or bandwidth, you should try moving current DSL modem to a downstairs telephone jack. That would cost you zero dollar. If that doesn't work, you can try other things. Just my two cents.

#33 Salamander_King, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    Greenteapri likes this.
  14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know the upstairs has one jack labelled DSL and one labelled phone next to the desktop computer. I always figured the phone guys did that for a reason....I guess not?

Not really too excited about having to have husband fish wires from downstairs to upstairs and would have to locate the modem on the far side of the house from where the upstairs computer is located as there is only one phone jack downstairs and it is on the opposite end of the house.

A very long cable run from the modem to upstairs, which would have to run along a wall or something. Somewhat unsightly....Neither of us are capable of trying to fish the cable between floors, if that is even possible.

15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's just a splitter. You can use a cheap splitter like this ACCL Phone Splitter (Straight) RJ11 6P4C Male to 2 RJ11 6P4C Female, 1pk - Walmart.com on downstair phone jack to keep your phone and modem connected at the same time. But again, if moving DSL modem downstairs makes your upstair computer not be able to connect, that would not work for you.

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The modem can connect directly to the other outlet as far as I am aware, if that helps any. You must keep the phone connected to the “filter”, then connect the other end of the filter to an outlet.

DSL requires a low pass filter to any telephony devices, ie phone and fax machine...

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is your phone plugged into a filter(an electronic widget all non modems plugged into a DSL home's phone jacks need) before it is plugged into the outlet? If not the jack labelled "phone" might have a filter built in. Otherwise, the two jacks are identical, and the labels are there because the company got tired of service calls about which jack the modem needed to be plugged into.:p

Moving the modem is the no cost thing to test first. If it works for your needs, then you can decide on how to get the desk top connected. There are three options for doing so that don't involve fishing cables through walls.
    1. Give the desk top wifi, if signal reaches it. There are wifi dongles that plug into USB ports, and they have to be cheap because the FiOS installer just gave one at the time.
    2. A long ethernet cable. Unslightly, and potential trip hazard, but cheap. I'm currently doing this. Learn from my mistake, if you go this route; don't get the cheapest cable. It worked fine, but the outer sheath was thin and soon breaking. Plus the cats found it somewhat appetizing. No such issues with the upgrade.
    3. 'Install' a powerline network. The finger quotes is because installation involves plugging the nodes into a power outlet, and then plugging the modem and computer into the node. Instead of running a set of ethernet lines through the walls, powerline networks use the home's electrical wiring for transmitting the signal. A basic kit with two nodes can be had for less than $50, TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit - Walmart.com There are nodes that still allow use of the outlet if need be, and ones that are wifi hot spots if you need to expand wifi coverage later. The only downside I consider is that the nodes consume electricity. Which is only a con in comparison to a wired ethernet network or unslightly cable; wifi extenders and mesh wifi nodes probably consume more.