Best way to increase MPG (not including driving habits)

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by HasuPK, Jul 10, 2018.

1. HasuPK

HasuPK New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Wondering if anyone had any results modifying anything on their prius C to get more MPG? I know tires can make a difference, anything else?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They've already done almost everything possible in your car's design to boost MPG... You could reduce as much weight in the vehicle as possible...

I also noticed a very slight improvement in MPG in my Gen2 Prius by switching to 0W-20 synthetic motor oil, not good for Winter in real cold climates...

Also a Prolong hybrid battery conditioning routine ProlongĀ® Battery Systems FAQ – Hybrid Automotive will ensure your hybrid battery is maxing your MPG, especially every 3 months after a full charge and balancing between cells.

But far and away the best way to boost mileage is Low Rolling Resistance tires with as high of tire pressure as feels safe. The way I did it was kept adding 2-3psi in each tire until I noticed a slight decline in traction under normal driving conditions. In Summer I feel comfortable with 46 psi in the rears and 48 psi in the fronts. In winter driving conditions I lower the pressure by about 5 psi.

Finally the last option for a major MPG boost is alloy racing wheels that are 4 pounds lighter than standard wheels... Catch is those wheels cost $2K to $3K each, which makes for a really bad day if you hit a curb.

JimboPalmer and roadrunner like this.
  3. HasuPK

HasuPK New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Great write up
    Thank you!

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Lapsed Cargo Cultist

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try some fuel injector cleaner, one with PEA (PolyEtherAmine), the kind you add to a tank of gas.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a hack known as the "thermistor hack" used on Gen2 and a few Gen3's basic idea is to elecronically fake out the warm-up cycle to get out of the lower-MPG warm-up cycles faster. I know one PiP owner from West Virginny had done it, but the idea lost popularity....guess Prius lost the hobby interest it once had. I do not know if it works on a Prius c. If in Ca. that could be legal issue, as the long, low MPG warm up cycle is CARB's idea to minimize emissions.

Another idea get out of Hawthorne and get some real gasoline, assuming that is Ca.

ztanos likes this.