1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Best way to use the backup camera?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, Jul 20, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's cool -- but do you find the backup camera a really useful tool?

The backup camera lets you see things that are lower than the field of vision in the rear window, but you still have to turn around and look out the rear window when backing up because the camera cannot see anything that's approaching from the sides. The problem is, you can't look at the camera on the MFD and out of the window at the same time, so how useful is it really?

So, my question is, how do you get the best use out of the camera?

2. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Very good at keeping me between the two white lines when backing into a parkng spot. Also tells me when I am near the curb on parallel parking. Yes, I do have to look to see if anything is coming left or right first. I like it. Nothing is perfect but this is helpful.

3. amitandrima

amitandrima New Member

While backing out I personally scan from one side to other glancing at the camera view in between. That way i have the full field of view wihtout having to turn my head by 180°. This is also of great help when you are sandwiched between two large trucks or mini vans!.

While backing in to a spot (which i do more often) i use the camera to align my vehicle with the yellow lines. I am still away from perfection with the second one. The camera is perfect in telling you when to stop because you see what is almost right below the rear bumper. (I plan to cut a transperancy sheet the size of the MFD, do a perfect parking and draw two lines on the sheet and use it next time i back in to show me the ideal centered location OR i could just practice some more and improve my judgement!).

4. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not very useful.... But I did really like it once. I was backing into a busy street and the view was blocked by street parking. The camara proved very useful in seeing what kind of traffic was coming.

5. markymags

markymags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is what I think will be the best way to use the backup camera: Get two Priuses, black- out the windshield and front two side windows and race... BACKWARD USING ONLY THE BACK- UP CAMERA! May the best driver win!

6. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nwprius @ Jul 20 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]289595[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gyro @ Jul 20 2006, 05:34 PM) [snapback]289603[/snapback]</div>
    I admit I haven't practiced that much, but I find it very difficult backing up straight into a space using the backup camera. It's easier for me to just turn around and back up in the traditional contorted position of one hand on the steering wheel and the other over the back of the seat -- but that's probably because I'm more practiced at it. I must say that if I can improve my steering using just the backup camera, it would certainly be a much more comfortable position to do it.

But when backing out of a spot into traffic, if one is watching the screen I don't see how you can see people or cars approaching from the side you are backing towards.

7. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 20 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]289641[/snapback]</div>
    You just have to angle the butt of your car in that general direction. The fish eye camera does the rest!

8. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I actually use mine to make sure I haven't pulled in too far into the garage. First time I parked it I pulled up as I always did with my Corolla, not thinking about the Prius being a little longer. When I walked around the check the back, it was still sticking out a little, so I pulled in further. I checked the front, and I was too close to walk around a refrigerator we have in our garage to the door. So, I got back in the Prius, and turned on the backup camera. I got the sweet spot in the garage for clearing the garage door and still being able to walk around the car, and made a mark on the floor. Now, I just pull in, turn on the camera, and line the mark on the floor up with the bottom of the screen. Perfect parking every time :p

9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the tips. I definitely need to practice more and maybe add a mark in my driveway to align with the car's rear.

The other thing that I find difficult to get used to is that everything looks much further away than it actually is. Things that are only 4 or 5 feet away look to be twice that distance. I'm afraid of misjudging and backing right into someone.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 20 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]289589[/snapback]</div>
    You're NOT supposed to rely solely on the camera when reversing. Technically, it's just used to see what's below the window and also how close you are to the vehicle behind you when parking (helps if you're parking in a tight parallel parking spot and you need to use all the space you can get)

11. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Like you said, it is pretty cool!

I use it to see what is right under the car, but mostly I look to the left and right.

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I use it many times a day. I am in field sales, and often have to parallel park a half dozen times a day. The camera lets me get into spaces I might never have tried before, as I can get within inches of the car behind me. I also use it to line up with the lines on the street with metered parking. I can't tell you how many times I used to have to get out to look to see if I was lined up, and then get back in and move the car. No more of that!

You may also find the instructions on adding a switch to turn the camera on whenever you want interesting (do a search). That way you can read the plate number of the idiot who is tailgating you...(or for you single people...get a little look at the cutie behind you)

Now for the addition of the camera on the front!

13. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I find it useful to see how far I can back up before I hit something. Without the camera I'm never quite sure exactly where my tail is. If the camera shows space between me and the car behind, I know I am safe.

14. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great assist for watching for animals and children behind the car. It will probably save my cat's life many times.

15. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 20 2006, 04:07 PM) [snapback]289589[/snapback]</div>
    My neibors kid left his tricyle behine me once, it really helped for that. I also found that it is the best way to allign my trailer hitch with the trailer when backing up to it. :rolleyes:

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pcflorida @ Jul 21 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]289877[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds like the most consistantly practical application for the rear camera. Unfortunately, I doubt there are too many Prii with trailer hitches.

What I would like to see is a camera in the front bumper, too. The little tow-hook receptacle plug would be a perfect place to install one. It would seem like it would be just as useful to judge distances as the rear camera when parellel parking and seeing anything that's in front of the car below the line of sight.

A front and rear camera system could be used in conjunction with some sort of button on the dash (they'd have to come up with a different name other than 'park' for it, though). When parking, the driver could depress the button and the MFD would automatically toggle the camera between Reverse and Drive as the driver maneuvered into a parking spot.

Plus, it would be fun to turn the front camera on when just driving down the road.

The biggest problem would be the bugs and stuff obscuring a front camera lens, but that could be alleviated by installing a little electric door to cover the lens when not in use.