1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

better coefficient of drag

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dissident, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Like pizza pan hubcaps.
    Interested in the interior blind-spot side mirrors mounted on the A pillar:
    Do you feel they give as good a view as the OEM mirrors?
    Could you post a pic of the install please?
    IIRC, I saw upper and lower inverter coolant loops in the Xgauge listings: which do you find more diagnostic or does that depend on other conditions and I should monitor both?

2. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love your mods Vman especially the mirror removal. Do you have any pics of the interior mirrors or have you put them on yet? Have you had a chance to do any A-B-A testing for mpg? If so, what are the results?

3. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius Tucson | Gas mileage tips from the auto repairmaster | Falconworks Intelligent Auto Repair

This guy makes them but says the mpg increase is about .2mpg highway. I too thought it would have been more significant.

AutoSpeed - Modifying Under-Car Airflow, Part 2

This is something else I found. Covering the front under carriage about 12-18 inches back from the front bumper increased mpg by 5mpg. Also interesting to note, those black, plastic rectangular "flaps" hanging down in front of the front wheels gets you about 2mpg and should not be interfered with. Seems he tried to cover them by gently sloping down with his "mod" and created enough lift to be noticeable at highway speed.

Robert Holt likes this.
  4. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks like the author is talking about GenII vehicles, not GenIII, from what I read.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Gen 0 is closer, the Japanese domestic Prius before the US Gen 1

6. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did notice that but I looked under mine and wondered if there could be any improvement. Also, as far as grill blocking, my radiator and/or a/c condenser hang down well into the lower grill. I wonder how much a/c efficiency is reduced by it's blocking. I had thought of blocking up until the summer but we can get some pretty warm days in the spring and wondered when the cut-off was when my aero gains were offset by my a/c losses. I lived on the Gulf Coast back in my auto mechanic days. Cars with the fan cowling missing were much less efficient. People would come in on 100 degree, 90% humidity days and wonder why their a/c wasn't cooling. I would explain to them about how freon works and prove it to them by spraying water on the front of their car with them in freezing on max. When the cycle of compression from a high pressure gas condensed back down to a low pressure liquid gets stressed, by airflow as much as ambient temp, it's going to work harder by being on longer.