1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better highway mileage than city?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Craig Van Zante, Oct 28, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Craig Van Zante

Craig Van Zante New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello and my first post.
    Second owner of 2012 Prius w/ 103K miles and I'm at the two-year ownership mark. New Michelins with appropriate pressure. Recent 12V battery replacement. Veepeak ODB, Car Scanner and Dr. Prius apps installed. Driving profile is 95% city usually of short duration (3-10 miles a day). I drive in 'normal' mode as the 'Econ' mode seemed to perform worse. After two years, and being exceedingly careful with my driving habits, I consistently show ~ 43mpg long-term but a recent highway jaunt net me 46mpg (75mph with hilly terrain). As soon as I hit the city, the mpg just starts dropping.

My perception is that the EV mode is not as active as it should be while driving in the city. Disregarding when the car or the weather is cold, the ICE seems to run randomly and more often than it should despite battery charge indicator showing adequate.

My questions: is there an electronic component under the hood or some other mechanical issue that might be preventing the EV mode from operating more efficiently and would the apps I'm using allow me to help troubleshoot this?

I've spoken with service at two Toyota dealerships and both seem hesitant to engage with this subject. Also, talking with several Prius owners over the years, they share they get better mileage (at least high 40s if not 50+).

Any input would be appreciated, even if it is a link on this site that addresses my query. Sincere thanks in advance.

PS: If this is as good as it gets, I'm still happy with the car and it still gets twice the MPG of my other car but not being able to optimize is driving me nuts!. I just have to know:)

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm thinking the short city trips, though if the majority are closer to 10 than 3 miles, then not sure; the car warms up quite quickly.

What are the Michelins, specifically?

You might feel your wheels after a drive, see if any (in particular the rears) feel more than slightly warm.

3. Craig Van Zante

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Hi Mendel and thanks for the prompt response. Michelin Defenders. Curious, would tire compound/grippiness have a dramatic effect at 30-40mph city driving?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Michelin Defender has been reported to be so-so for rolling resistance, not terrible by any means though. A good tire though, and long lasting.

Craig Van Zante likes this.
  5. DirkAshburn

DirkAshburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Recent 12V battery replacement."

Welcome to the low 40s mpg club after the battery replacement. Try resetting the ECU. I gained 7-9mpg from that. I average 41mpg around town after that.

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here comes those winter driving lower mpg results when heater and defrost are turned on while car is in EV stop and go traffic

7. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming otherwise good habits, the causes of such poor mileage appear to be short trips in town, and 75 mph during the "highway jaunt."

8. Craig Van Zante

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I have the same tires on both vehicles. Very pleased. I'm going to play around with Eco mode again. I didn't know how to drive the car when I first acquired it so maybe i'll have better luck this round. Thanks again for the response.

9. Craig Van Zante

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the response. I've considered that might be a culprit.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you cleaned the egr circuit?

11. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm in that club.
    Can you elaborate the 'Resetting the ECU' procedure? Thanks!

12. Craig Van Zante

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It has been a few days since I looked at this topic but I believe it resets when you disconnect the 12V battery (which I did when I replaced it recently). All of the accumulated mpg data rebooted to zero but I don't have any answers beyond that. Maybe Dirk has a better answer. For me, I'm still experiencing the same performance with the new 12V. FYI: As I stated above, I'm experimenting with Eco mode again and I have seen some extremely promising individual segment drives but I will need to accumulate some longterm data to see if this is helping - and winter and cold weather will negate some of that even.

bisco likes this.
  13. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try a bottle of lucas fuel treatment

14. Craig Van Zante

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thx!

15. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Also try this ECU reset. This is better than simply disconnecting the battery. This has restored MPG on priuses.

16. Craig Van Zante

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting video. This addresses steering but I need to research how this affects mileage. Thx for the link and the concept.

17. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just do it. You got nothing to lose and it takes less than 5 minutes. Here’s a thread of someone losing MPG and after doing the reset, his MPG improved. Lost 10mpg After Replacing 12V Battery | PriusChat

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you have a traction control trouble code, such as from an uninitialized steering angle sensor, so that the brake system is in fail-safe operation and not using regen, then there is genuine reason to expect MPG to improve after solving that issue. So I would certainly "just do it" in that case.

That might leave other cases where there isn't any indication of VSC sensors needing initialization, but somebody says "just do it, you got nothing to lose" anyway. Those cases bring up a sort of philosophical question: is "takes 5 minutes, got nothing to lose" always a good enough reason to do something, or should a person want a sound rationale for it first, and if so, how sound is sound enough?

Reasonable people can come down in different places on that. As for me, I'm with those who would rather wait for a clear statement of what something does and why it applies to the situation.

19. DirkAshburn

DirkAshburn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The video is an ECU reset, which rests basically everything (for this person it was steering).

20. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    But 'Heat' is free in a Gasser.
    And the AC, which is used intermittently when Defrost is selected, is not that much of a power consumer.
    Could there be other reasons that ALL cars get less fuel economy in cold weather?(n)