1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better mileage than a Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by boulder_bum, Mar 7, 2008.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was also being light hearted in my response.
    It is a confused place all the same, our mother England.
    The snake oil salesmen like the US gallon because they can sell more gallons at a seemingly lower price.
    A Smoot is a measure of length equal to 67 inches. Smoot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Has something to do with Pomerania right? Hence the term "Whinging Pom". I use that one to describe my daughters on a regular basis. :D

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In my neighborhood, diesel is $3.99/gal. and reg gas $3.49. By my math, the increase fuel cost offsets the extra VW mileage. Also the Prius is cleaner for the environment. I drove a VW Golf TDI in France a couple of years ago, and liked it (it got US equiv of 50 mpgs). As for reliability, give me the Toyota.:cool:

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Reliability and pollution:

Prius: clean and reliable.

VW Diesel: filthy and unreliable

Who wants to give up reliability just to save a few cents on fuel, even assuming the VW did get better FE, which it probably does not, in real-life driving, at the present relative cost of gas and diesel.

As pastparks says in his sig:
    My Xebra is not reliable at all, but it produces zero emissions and costs 2 cents a mile to drive. (That's like paying $1 a gallon to fill your Prius, or 25 cents a gallon to fill the typical SUV.) But the big difference is that it's fun to drive. A diesel is hardly fun, unless dirty, smelly, and noisy gives you a thrill.