1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Better tire choices for the Prius, quite and comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Taylor, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Brian K

Brian K New Member

2. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another good vendor is Discount Tire (also known as tires.com on the web).

I bought my Assurance ComforTreds from them in June when I bought my Prius for $81 and received $40 per tire trade-in on my Goodyear Infinitys for $164 total plus the usual extras.

Discount Tire also frequently offers a $50 rebate which I received as well. I can't complain that I paid around $200 for the ComforTreds PLUS liftetime repair warranty & spin balancing! :D

3. mspencer

mspencer New Member

What kind of tires (if any) would enable a Prius to handle muddy roads, like "grade B" roads in the early spring? I understand good snow tires would give the Prius very good performance in snow, but would anything work in mud?

(My friend is probably right, and *nothing* will help any front-wheel-drive sedan in mud, but I thought I'd ask. I'm a city boy, lacking any country-living common sense.)

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The major problem is the lack of ground clearance. The prius has only 5 inches so if your tires sink in you've had it. Good snow tires with an aggressive tread design will work in mud, but they will be noisy on the highway and unless you specifically get LRR tires, will hurt your gas mileage (but so will the mud ;) ).

JeffD

5. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the Michelin X Radial on my Subaru for 3 years...they never seemed to get smaller. Anyhow, I traded it in for my Prius.

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV