1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured BEV sales in USA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is mostly Musk blabbing on twitter, or release events that are a lot like Apple's.
    But whatever it is, it is working, as they are growing with cut backs to their incentives, and while the industry is generally isn't doing well.
    And that is because they have a compelling product.

Since you cut off the rest of my post, I take it to mean you agree with it.
    Nothing in that article discounts what China has stated about only supporting hydrogen programs that will provide real progress to FCEV adoption, and that those seeking the assistance need to show their program will do that.

"The new program will replace existing purchase assistance and is slated to last for four years. The central government will select development proposals submitted by local governments, which will use the subsidies to fund FCV technology developers in their areas."

Is this new subsidy more or less than the previous assistance giving to buses?

Irrelevant, as the majority of Toyota's sales are mature technology cars and trucks. Tesla does outsell their PHEVs, BEVs, and FCEVs.

So they don't have to visit a refueling station as often.
    Why are PHEVs and BEVS outselling hydrogen cars in an area where hydrogen stations are available?

Are you saying you would have bought your Mirai without a $15k fuel card?

No new Tesla is getting free Supercharger access, and hasn't since Tesla introduced the pricing schedule.

The new Mirai is literally being compared to Lexus when it comes to the interior. When Toyota said they were making it more upscale, were they thinking of Mercedes?

Alright, "They new Mirai looks like a nice car, but it isn't any nicer than a Mercedes of the same price," or what about its EV luxury is more compelling than the luxury of any other car? Why would someone that is looking at a Mercedes, Lexus, or Tesla, choose it?

2. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hybrids??

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Education and marketing is not in place and limited dealers selling the Mirai - this will need to improve to capture more sales.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes - fuel card was a nice perk, but so was the CPO deal.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The cost the Mirai makes it a luxury vehicle. Lexus IS Toyota so of course it’s gonna have similar designs as a Lexus. Mercedes and Lexus don’t have any FCEV to offer. The direct competitor would be Tesla. The luxury and build quality far surpasses the model S which sells for more.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We've been over this. The current Mirai is closer to the Model 3 in size, which starts at a lower price.
    maybe the new Mirai will be big enough to compare to the Model S. We won't know until Toyota releases the specs, and we won't know what its price will be until then.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But I do, but can’t share at this time.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know too . . . but i can't share. Bunch of us do.
    ;)

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  11. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2020 is 13 months away - probably better as how many people are jumping into cabs these days.

12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They're saying it will take about 8 years for there to be enough infrastructure to supply a hydrogen taxi fleet. Eight years in which 350kW chargers and the batteries that can use them will spread. Maybe this hydrogen infrastructure and FCEV taxis will work out. That doesn't mean it can support hydrogen passenger cars in addition to taxis.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought this was about bev sales. So we are told by our fuel cell advocate that china is going to buy a lot of fuel cells. The 2021 mirai is slated for world wide production up to 30,000 per year. China as of september has 4 million plug-ins and 7000 fcv, making fcv a little less than 0.2% of the combined plug-in fcv market there, and subsidies for fcv and hydrogen stations are likely to be too low for them to even reach 1% of the chinese market. Its south korea and japan were fuel cells have the best chance, and the mirai only japan.

The interior of the 2020 mirai is much smaller for interior and cargo to the model 3. It needs to be bigger on the outside to hold those bigger hydrogen tanks and the 2021 mirai.

Back to the subject. Plug-ins are gaining market share in the US and many countries. They are still a small percentage of the market, but infrastructure for at least tesla in the US, and all bevs in china is quite robust and battery costs are coming down a steady and high rate.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The US households that can afford a plug in now likely are among the ones that have more than one car. Between the lower pressure of needing the car to 'do it all', and early adopter stage the market is still in, BEVs end up as the main choice. As costs come down, we should see the PHEV share rise. Though they might face some political hurdles with still having an ICE in areas.

Rmay635703 and orenji like this.
  15. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    my gf has a unreliable car, but she works close enough (2 miles) that she rides her bike if the weather is good. With over 300 miles of range and a super charger network the tesla is good enough for all trips we don't prefer to fly. Her dad had a tantrum about her flying to visit him because he was sure she was going to get covid, so she rented a car (my status helped her get a jeep for $190 for the week) still she had to drive about 20 hours on that trip instead of flying for a short time. Yes since buying it I have had trips to new zealand, ice land, germany, california, and atlanta - all too far for me to want to drive. I have driven to san antonio (single charge round trip), and houston (one super charger stop during the round trip and had lunch). It depends on where you go. A rav 4 prime would cover most of my daily miles, so it would also be electric for me for most of the miles, but toyota doesn't really want to sell them to texans. The mirai, how would i fill it?

#35 austingreen, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I say tie the knot AG