1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Beverly Hills bans plug in hybrids from public charging stations...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by prius4owner, Mar 29, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Those should be valet parking.

Bob Wilson

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You expect valets to know how to charge an EV?
    Some do not know how to start a Prius even with a valet instruction card.

pilotgrrl and bwilson4web like this.
  3. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suspect that most of the BEV's that are plugged into public charging stations don't actually need the electricity, they have enough range to get home, they are plugging in just because it is free. In that case no different than a PHEV which also doesn't "need" the electricity. I can understand that in some situations a BEV may be outside of its range and it actually needs the electricity in order to make it home. But in that case a Tesla which is charging "just because it can" is blocking them just as much as a PHEV would be. How to differentiate and give priority to the people who actually need the electricity? I don't see how that's possible, and trying to legislate it is just making things worse.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    SNFU - situation normal. :eek:

5. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    From what I can tell they were not.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What worries me is dozens of different charging regulations in different jurisdictions. In the end, you can’t legislate courtesy.

pilotgrrl and Nic Steussy like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The KISS solution is to simply charge a fee of some type for using the charger. The freeloaders will stop since any rates at a public charger are going to be more than what they pay at home, and possibly even for gas.

iplug, pilotgrrl, Zythryn and 2 others like this.
  8. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wonder if they can, since the money to install the EVSEs was a grant.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Beverly Hills is adding fees in addition to banning PHEVs.

bwilson4web and Oniki like this.
  10. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical driver seen at free public charging stations:

d1d3776473973875dc393569ef81c293.jpg

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ah HA! Now we know where the CARB members live. Their hatred of plugin hybrids is self evident.

Bob Wilson

offib, pilotgrrl and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think they wouldn't want any chargers in their neighborhood. Those take resources away from hydrogen stations.

bwilson4web and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With one of those, are you ever going to be dead-in-the-water due to lack of charge? If not, it's a Plug-In hybrid in my books.

14. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not as limited as you might think. To qualify for BEVx only requires that the car cannot go farther in extended mode than it can in pure EV mode. In fact the 2.4 gallon fuel tank in the i3 would carry it farther in extended mode than the approximately 100 mile EV range. So to qualify for CARB the U.S. models have software which artificially limits tank size to 1.9 gallons, resulting in an extended range of "only" about 80 miles. Sure that's far different than a regular PHEV, but you are still potentially using almost as much gasoline as you are electricity. In fact I have heard that once extended mode kicks in you can stay in that mode almost indefinitely by filling up with gas every 50 miles or so, as long as you don't have a lot of hills to climb and don't go over about 70 mph. So on a day with a lot of driving you can actually use more gas than electricity in an i3. Not that an i3 owner would do that on a regular basis but it is possible.

#34 Since2002, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Why a BEV holds no attraction to me:
    http://www.hybridcars.com/2018-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-good-burbs/

Executive summary: A level 2, home charger is mandatory. Going to 3d party chargers is a 'pig in a poke.'

I am looking to replace our BMW L1 charger with a dual voltage, 120-240VAC, 30A, EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug (RV parks) and adapters for NEMA 7-30 (dryer plug) and NEMA 5-15 and 5-20 plugs.

Bob Wilson

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    CARB also requires that the battery be near depleted before hybrid made can be engaged. Which means the i3 owner can't engage the ICE until 5% charge versus the 80% or 75% point at which BMW intended. The engine wasn't sized to provide full power for the car like it does for the Volt or Prime, but work with grid charge during high demand situations. It can maintain a highway speed while cruising, but will need power from the battery for passing or climbing a hill.

CARB severely limiting the amount of grid charge left when hybrid mode can be turned on is why I say they have hobbled the car, and why owners of complained about it being under powered here. By not letting the driver turn on the ICE sooner when they know they will need the extra range, CARB might actually be forcing the cars to burn more gas as the engine needs to work harder without battery grid charge to assist it.

17. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know about mandatory, but I'll agree that it is darn good idea for most people.

What is the big deal ? I paid $200 for an electrician to install a 15-40 outlet; you can probably easily make do with $50 of stuff from Home Depot

So far as the EVSE goes, some cars come with 120/240v equipment, some only a mobile 120v and then you pay ~ $500. What is that , up to 2-3% added to the price of the car ?

18. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't quite understand the point of a BEVx. Since it by law can only go as far on gasoline as in EV, why not just lose the ICE and all of its associated emissions equipment, radiator, fuel tank, etc, etc, and just double the battery size? :confused:

Unless they expect people to use the extended mode as described above to convert the car into an underpowered low-range hybrid.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great article, i could have written it myself. i do think charging infrastructure will get to where it needs to be eventually.
    i put in level 2 after owning the pip for 2 months. hard to believe, bur 90 minutes is way better than 3 hours, when you're coming and going all day with a 10-15 mile range.

#39 bisco, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  20. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have one, a 2014 BMW i3-REx, and no interest in any BEV:
    • Refueling the gas engine takes 1.9-2.3 gallons in minutes.
    • Following high-balling trucks, it easily keeps up with them on the highway.
    • No problem with urban driving at substantially slower speeds.
    • The 168 hp motor maintains its SOC as long as there is gas.
    • Only California/CARB state law would object to coding that makes the car work as designed:
      • Enable range extender at 75% for cross country trips and refuel 5-10 minutes every ~70 miles.
      • Set the empty tank limit from 1.9 to 2.3 gallons which increase refuel range to ~85 miles.
      • Set the default drive mode between street racer and hair-shirt efficiency which improves efficiency.
    Our other car, a 2017 Prius Prime is more efficient around town, especially above 50F, and cross country. So our requirements for city and cross country travel are met with both cars.

Refueling the BMW is a 'charge' rate of ~850 miles per hour (85 mi tank range x 10 minutes.) That would a charger with ~213 kW rate ((85/4) * 10). My last fillip, ~$6, would cost $60 for those 850 miles. Not as cheap as electricity, ~$21.30, but still affordable with a higher block-to-block speed.

I don't fault those who choose a pure BEV since they signup for all the cross country delays.

Bob Wilson