1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BEWARE: Fake HID Bulbs sold for OEM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgios, Sep 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Georgios

Georgios Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I bought 2 HID bulbs for the Prius and I usually buy either OEM either better replacements.
    This time I thought I want OEM ones for the exact color shade.
    Normally big part sellers do not sale fake stuff, even if cheap. This time I got misled and bought 2 bulbs off of Ebay, When I got the package I immediately realized there is something wrong
    On First place the white sticker had scrip just like one of those $1 with free shipping from china random plastic garbage.. When I opened it, on the bulbs says PHILIPS "CERMANY" Lool (its hard to tell from the picture)
    On the original bulb says "GERMANY" and on the new ones is clear the the first letter is C and not just a G on which the ink didn't print correctly. You can tell on both bulbs the whole product is a very good copy. And the color of the light is way more blue than the original
    That is the link.

D4R x2 NEW HID XENON Headlight Bulbs 90981-20029 OEM REPLACEMENT TOYOTA LEXUS US | eBay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ITBland and DLC82SV like this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got to love fake HID lights. I did a whole writeup about them a while ago. It's hard to see with the low res image what the salt chamber and filaments look like.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    $36 for a pair (2) of Philips D4R bulbs would have had me running away.

An $18 HID bulb when the guaranteed genuine typical price is $50-100.................has China written all over it, but who knows, maybe they were QC rejects because they messed up the G. :rolleyes:

4. ITBland

ITBland Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ebay has a great return policy and sellers are super concerned about getting a negative review, so if you start complaining in a very clear and thorough way they'll make it up to you. That's why I like Ebay!

6. C Rider

C Rider New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Watch out for Fake Denso Sparkplugs on E-bay too.