1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BEWARE THOSE CHEAP COIL SETS!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Born 2 Run, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Born 2 Run

Born 2 Run New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Flush with cash, I bought a set of coils for my 2008 Prius off e-Bay 6 months ago and got around to installing them a few weeks ago. Everything ran fine until yesterday. When I started the car, the engine shook, the "Check Engine" came on, and it struggled just to reach 50 mph.

When I took it to my master mechanic, he hooked up his code reader and said he suspected a coil was bad. I told him I had changed them a few weeks ago. He asked if they were Denso parts. I said "no". I only paid forty bucks for the set. After chasing me around the garage with a torque wrench, he told me to NEVER buy Chinese parts for a Prius (I didn't want to tell him about my Chinese HID light bulbs).

So if you're in the market for coils, don't buy ones marked "ECCPP".

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    who is your master mechanic? why did you change out all your coils?

#2 JC91006, Jun 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I always get "OE Style" coils from Rockauto. Tend to be the same thing for half the OEM list price.

4. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Cheap coils have been a little hit or miss for me. For my V6s and V8s, I have tended to favor the cheaper ones just because the savings are multiplied a bit more than in an I4. Every once in a while, a coil will fail, but they're generally easy enough to install and troubleshoot that I don't mind switching one out every now and then. For my Prius, where I'm only buying four coils, I think I'll go with the OEM-recommended coil. Buying non-OEM coils carries a slightly higher risk than OEM, but the price tag reflects it. Sometimes it's worth it.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was there anything wrong with the originals?