1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires transform ride quality

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Offline, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The awful 17" Toyo tires that came on our 2012 Prius v Five are finally history due to sidewall curb damage on one of them. They were nearly worn out anyway after only about 20,000 miles of use.

The ride comfort improvement with the BF Goodrich tires is astonishing - maybe because they are much "chunkier" tires with wider "body" and tread and they are not Low Rolling Resistance tires. I'm guessing that they hold a higher volume of air.

Fuel economy is down a couple of mpg's but who cares. Our Prius finally doesn't ride like a lumber wagon. Those OEM Toyo tires were utter crap.

We bought the Goodrich tires at Costco - lucky they had them in stock since my wife was going on an 800 mile road trip the next day.

Baltimore66 and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always liked their blimps.

RCO likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My OEM Toyo Proxes blimp-shod v rides smooth at 40psi front, 41 psi rear, and delivers 44mpg overall, with no discernible tread wear at 22,000 miles. Have you checked your alignment? Trim it out to neutral camber and toe.

#3 Air_Boss, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  4. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a 2013 Prius v with the 17" Toyo tires and have 37,000 miles on them. I expect to easily get over 45,000 out of the tires. As air_boss said, "check your alignment." 20,000 miles is ridiculously low mileage for those tires to be worn out. Your new tires will be worn out in 20,000 miles if you don't fix the alignment.

I do agree with your comment about the car riding like a "lumber wagon" on those tires. Last week I was pricing tires at Costo just to get something quieter and smoother riding even though my tires have about 7,000 miles left on them.

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    BF Goodrich had blimps?

RCO and bisco like this.
  6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Think bisco is pulling your leg...

RCO and bisco like this.
  7. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is no alignment problem. The treads on the Toyo's wore uniformly and were at about 4/32 inch which is widely regarded as the minimum for safety in rain. The tire pressures were kept at 33/32 psi per the label on the door post and air added or drained as necessary as ambient temperatures changed but jolts over expansion joints and potholes were still extraordinarily harsh. If the one Toyo tire hadn't been damaged, the set would have been replaced anyway before next Spring due to the tread depth. The snow wheels/tires will be going on the Prius only two months from now.

My wife isn't interested in maxing out tire pressure to get better fuel economy. She wants comfort. She didn't buy the Prius for its fuel economy but because it is a Toyota, has PCS and DRCC and is reasonably small. (She refuses to drive the larger vehicles I prefer and buy for myself.) One reason the Toyo's might have worn faster is that the car has rarely been driven out of town - only about 1,400 miles on road trips. It's rare for my wife to wear out a set of tires on "her" cars. Her tires usually "age out" and are replaced long before they wear out.

RCO likes this.
  8. GeoST

GeoST Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Offline, I'm going to give these a try based on your recommendation. So there was a big change in ride comfort? No more expansion joint jolts? I can get a good price at my local Costco, then sell the Toyos online. I'm hoping this modest step will allow me to keep the pretty 17" alloy wheels :)

RCO likes this.
  9. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    All I can tell you is that the difference was extremely noticeable and unexpected and that the noise and pain from expansion joints and pot holes seemed much less.

To get a fair comparison, I suggest that you set the cold pressures of your Toyo tires to the settings shown on the driver door pillar before driving to Costco - 33 psi front, 32 psi rear assuming that it is the same for the 2017 as the 2012. Then verify that your new tires are set to the same pressures.

The Comp-2 tires provide a much more compliant ride than the OEM Toyo tires but there are likely still better tires out there. We didn't have time to look around due to my wife departing on a long trip and Costco was the only place we called that had the tire size we needed in stock ... and the Comp-2's were the only tire they had in that size.

Looking back, maybe I should have mounted the snow wheels/tires prematurely and then taken my time to find even better A/S tires. My wife was perfectly happy with the OEM Toyo tires as she now is with the Comp-2's - she's not much into cars as long as they get her to where she wants to go. My "job" on the Prius is only the keep it washed and fueled.

RCO likes this.