1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BG Hybrid Kit

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pri3C, May 13, 2020.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I used these products for our old 2010 Prius II. They worked well to control oil consumption and I started using them at 125k miles when I started to see oil consumption ;).

They were not called "hybrid" specific, so I'm not sure what the difference so, maybe just marketing :whistle:.

But I will use them earlier than 125k miles on our Prime:).

So I'll use them and see what data I can collect and share(y).

mikey_t and Pri3C like this.
  2. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks :) I just ordered the kit from a Ferrari dealership on Amazon. The Toyota service center told me they’d put everything in when I get the oil changed. I may do it myself if the instructions are straightforward enough. Do you put it in yourself?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    They are easy enough to add yourself:).

Add the epr just prior to the oil change (by sitting in the dealer lot then run your Prius in maintenance mode for 10-15 minutes );).

The 44k treats something like 20 gallons, so I split that between our 2 cars so I don't keep an open can around. But easy to do yourself and ensure it is done right (y).

mikey_t likes this.
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wait, does the oil additive go in right before the oil gets dumped out, or do you add it after the change? If so, how do you coordinate the net fill level if two people are pouring things in at different times?

5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    EPR is the engine flush (put it in before you change the oil and run the Prius in maintenance mode).

MOA you add with the new oil.

44K you add to your fuel.

Tucker Jamison and Pri3C like this.
  6. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    To avoid the build up, you must use top tier or beyond. Use a very good oil that does not slug. The OEM oil should be good but I use Redline Oil due to high heat So Cal and towing of trailers, I do at times. When engine is fully heated do occasional full throttle runs. Costco gives you 5X EPA additive which is more then any other station at 3X for super at good stations like Chevron or Shell. You can also ad your own like Red line fuel cleaner or Techron from time to time.

srivenkat and Pri3C like this.
  7. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just to confirm: you add the EPR to the oil crankcase and let the car run idle for 15 minutes in maintenance mode in the dealer lot prior to the oil change. No driving.

I added the 44K about a week ago. I used about 60-70% of the can before filling up and added the rest a tank or two later at a half tank and kept driving to two bars. Car’s running great. Fuel efficiency still excellent.

I’ll get the oil changed in a couple days.

mikey_t likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I wouldn't run the Prius very far;).

The one time I did it I was in the dealers lot, added the EPR, Then drove it to the service area for them to then change the oil:).

It worked well that one time, then I just did everything myself thereafter(y).

mikey_t and Pri3C like this.
  9. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is what I do. And I run EPR for 20mins.

Raytheeagle and Pri3C like this.
  10. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Can you please elaborate on the reasons for the "No driving" caution. Thanks.

11. Pri3C

Pri3C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not a mechanic but whatever's in the EPR is only meant to run through the engine for a short time.. so no extensive driving. You're supposed to do the EPR step right before an oil change and then add the MOA with the new oil.

mikey_t, srivenkat and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    [Emphasis in the above, mine.] By full throttle runs, do you literally mean flooring the accelerator. Can you tell me the RPM you drive the Engine to when you floor and for how long you keep the accelerator floored (I guess in the highway)?

13. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I put the BG Hybrid kit 4 days back in my 2007 Camry Hybrid (which has been consuming about 2 qts oil every 5K) and after a 300-mile trip on the highway yesterday, the oil level doesn't seem to have been disturbed. Too early to tell, but at least no damage. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will update at the end of 5K.

FWIW, right before this oil change (Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic Maxlife 0W-20 + BG MOA), I ran Royal Purple 0W-20 and then Royal Purple 5W-20 which also may have done some preparatory cleaning (although I still saw some consumption) capped off by BG EPR. I put the entire can of BG 44K in the tank (17.2 gal capacity).

EDIT: Edited for clarity and info about Royal Purple.

#14 srivenkat, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Pri3C, mikey_t and Raytheeagle like this.