1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bicycle Carrier void the warranty or damage the Prius v (lowercase v)?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by JamesWhite27, Mar 9, 2016.

1. JamesWhite27

JamesWhite27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all, proud new owner as of yesterday of a 2015 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon). I have read through the forums about some different bicycle carriers (hitch mount and tailgate mount etc) and the hitch mount ones obviously seem like they would do the least amount of damage to the car, however would installing the hitch void our warranty? has anyone had any problems or heard of problems with Toyota warranty caused by installing a hitch?

Also, does anyone know if Toyota does approve of a certain type of bicycle carrier for the Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon)?

Also wondering about roof racks for kayaks, canoes or cargo boxes. Does anyone know about approved roof racks for the v?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Saris Bones...

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty", its a legal non-starter. Obviously if you cause damage or systems failure its not covered by warranty.

4. JamesWhite27

JamesWhite27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    But if a problem with the drivetrain or any systems did arise, could they come back and say they are not covering the repair because i have a hitch installed?

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not unless they can prove you were pulling a Semi trailer when the rear half of your car was ripped off.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think the bottom line is they could void the warranty if they wanted to in specific cases. However there are probably zero to very few cases where a major failure was on a car with a hitch while still under warranty. It is clear Toyota does not approve towing in any way, in part because maximum load capacity is quickly used up by passengers and normal luggage alone. Plus there is not a full frame and everything is relatively lightweight to benefit mpg. With that said, there is a detailed post of a roof rack installation bolted through the roof. You can buy hitches for the car. Limiting the load to a bicycle does not add much weight but a 2" hitch "could" tow almost anything, which has been done. The most likely items to fail would be the brakes due to excessive regeneration on downhills forcing the brakes to take more of the load or the inverter (already known as a failure point in earlier models) due to excessive use.

I doubt there are any "approved" racks or hitches for the car. But Toyota doesn't really "approve" anything third party other than maybe oils that meet the spec.

#6 rjparker, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Let's try this another way: Unless your action was a direct cause of a failure, no. It has to be something related to the hitch installation or usage that causes the failure. And even then ONLY the failure that you caused can be denied for warranty coverage, and the remainder of the warranty remains in effect.

8. JamesWhite27

JamesWhite27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure it will instantly void your warranty.
    As well as prevent you from using double coupons at the grocers.

And your smoke alarm will go off.
    Plus your cholesterol level will increase.
    You might experience sudden hair loss, and or anemia. I'd consult with a doctor.

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the set-up my Son's new 2015. Curt hitch 1-1/4", 1UpUSA

[​IMG]

JamesWhite27 likes this.
  11. JamesWhite27

JamesWhite27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So what caused your condition? Did you play with live DC with your bare hands?

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ma Ma always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.
    But Ma Ma, that's where the fun is!