1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big 3 Electrical Upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sir Swish, May 19, 2018.

1. Sir Swish

Sir Swish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hello everybody I have a 2017 Prius One and have added an aftermarket sound system. 1 monoblock subwoofer amplifier and 1 two channel speaker amplifier. I have installed an 85ah deep cycle battery in back to help ensure voltage remains constant.

I have ran several 1/0 wires but I had a couple questions. I have not replaced any stock wiring just added over existing stuff.

1. Front battery negative to chassis.

2. Front battery positive to back deep cycle battery positive.

3. Back deep cycle battery negative to chassis.

The two I'm unsure about are...

1. Inverter positive to front battery positive.

2. Inverter negative to chassis.

I just want to ensure I don't tap into the wrong wires and void my warranty or cause any damage. So far I've had no issues, no headlight dimming even at fill tilt with consistent bass notes. I think the deep cycle battery in the back is keeping everything very stable voltage wise. I'm drawing about 80 - 100 amps from both amplifiers.

I hope you understand my question. I will part pictures here shortly.

2. Sir Swish

Sir Swish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    IMG_20180519_115249512_HDR.jpg IMG_20180519_115151811.jpg IMG_20180519_115306257_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Sir Swish

Sir Swish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Not sure where the positive inverter output is or where to ground the inverter.

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The best sources for this information are the Electrical Wiring Diagram and Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com. I posted an unofficial synopsis of the 12-volt charging system in a previous thread.

I don’t know why the inverter with converter assembly would need more grounding; it’s already well bonded to the chassis by the No. 3 Engine Wire. This isn’t shown in the EWD or my posting, but it does appear in the Repair Manual procedures for removing and installing the assembly, which also show the positive connection.
    I’m not sure that’s a good idea, especially for steady-state operation, since the maximum output current for the DC-DC converter, according to the New Car Features book, is only 100 A.
    I wouldn’t count on Toyota paying a warranty claim related in any way to the 12-volt electrical system on a vehicle with such extensive modifications, even if the original wiring is intact. This doesn’t mean the warranty is void, of course, just that by its terms, it “does not cover damage or failures resulting directly or indirectly from” “Alteration or tampering, including installation of non-Genuine Toyota accessories” or “Installation of non-Genuine Toyota parts.”

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. Sir Swish

Sir Swish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Car is handling it fine. I am still looking for the positive inverter output. The bigger wire will help ensure the voltage stays above 14 volts. No light dimming it anything. I'm really impressed by this car. The windshield and roof is flexing from the bass.

6. Sir Swish

Sir Swish New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Anybody know where to positive output is on the inverter?