1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big Bang ---> windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tag, May 25, 2004.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Doing about 50 mph earlier today when some, well, whatever hit the windshield with a sound that left my ears ringing.

But no hole and no cracks. Just sort of a one-half inch abrasion (for the lack of a better term) about 2-3 inches above the hood line.

I've been driving a loooong time and, although I've had my share of crud hit the windshield at high speed, none has produced such a deafening sound.......and no crack!

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a similar experience that nearly scared the crap out of me. I've had ford windshields crack under less impact (though their impact was at the edge).

So far I've been impressed w/ the strength of this windshield. The rocks that have hit it so far were pretty large (relatively for what gets thrown up).

3. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    wish i could say the same. a rock hit me at highway speed and put a small crack. i didn't see the rock so i have no idea how big it was. it wasn't very loud though, just a sharp crack noise.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Here's a pic of the hit which can be seen right in the center as a longish white mark.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my ford windshield cracked without a rock hitting it at all. it was just over 90 degrees and i was driving down the road and it just cracked on its own.