1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big battery concerns

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by IABoy987, Mar 7, 2012.

1. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 12v aux battery finally started going bad after it hit the 7 year mark. FYI you could conceivable start the car with 2 9V batteries like I did, In a pinch. The 12v battery drives ALL the 12v accessories, like the taillights, headlights, radio, normal car stuff. And yes it is kind of babied because it's not in the engine compartment. However, because it is small in mass it may not last as long as a bigger battery. As with all lead acid batteries it has a finite lifetime irregardless of it's cozy life and life is dramatically shortened if discharged more than 50% without immediately recharging it.

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Glad to hear that you enjoy Priuschat everyday, that is identical with me. I think I am going to stay away from this Technical portion of the discussion leaving it to our more astute members. I am quite sure that the 12V is very important and is not just there for starting. And if consistently below 12V various issues can and do ensue. This has been proved numerous times by removing and replacing with a known good 12V Battery. I will await Patrick, Hobbitt comments on the subject. I am frrankly too lazy to research HSD theory of operations on my Bentley book.
    :(:(:(

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The battery in the picture below was in good working order, showing no signs of a problem. Less than 30 seconds in Ig-On (for key programming) zapped it, giving it a bad cell. The OEM battery is garbage.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Seilerts is also one of our astute contributors! NUF SED :cheer2:

5. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well apparently you've never been an owner of Ford Powerstroke Diesel, because they have not one but two 12v batteries (biggest you can fit) and if they are not replaced annually the truck will leave you stranded, or do some really odd things.

The injectors on the 7.3s uses high voltage to actuate an electromagnetic fuel injectors that spray out at pressures of about 12-18,000psi. Im on my second Superduty and they've always been this way. Running high voltage injectors, high amperage glow plugs and just plane old turning over a 444ci diesel makes battery change an annual tune up item.

Just because "you've" never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

1 person likes this.
  6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the ICE provides all the power for everything in the car, so yes, that is ultimately the thing charging the 12v, but it first must go through the traction battery, then the inverter, then to the 12v. so if you prefer to think of it as the ICE charging the 12v, then so be it, I won't fight you on it.

The 12v does NOT sit idle during normal operation. It supplies power for all of the accessories (perhaps not the headlights--I seem to remember they have their on inverter so that may come from the traction, but I don't think so b/c you can have the headlights on even when the car is in ACC mode and the traction battery is not active). You are right that the relative amount of drain to the 12v is very small.

I also agree with you that the OEM 12v is not that bad of a battery. I kept my original for 5 years before preemtively changing it. My reasoning was that the new one would last me another 5 years--the amount of time I expected to keep the car. Why wait until it dies and inconveniences me? I know it will have to be replaced at some point and I can do it when I need to be somewhere or I can do it at my convenience and not have it end up stranding me or making me late for something and/or needing to inconvenience someone else to run me to the dealership to buy a new battery. I won't criticize you for waiting and getting every drop of life out of your battery if that's they way you choose to do it. But for me I need my car to be reliable, and after seeing enough reports of that 12v dying unexpectedly at around the 5 year mark, it made sense for me to do it preemtively. But look, to each their own.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are two voltage buses on the Prius: HV and 12V. The HV bus is attached to the HV (traction) battery, the low side of the inverter, and the input to the DC to DC converter. All charging of the HV battery is done through the inverter, and the high side of the inverter is powered by MG1 or MG2.

During normal operation in Ready, all power to the 12V bus is supplied from the DC to DC converter, which itself is supplied by the HV bus. This power to the high side of the DC to DC converter might come from the HV battery or one of the MGs; it all depends on the mode of operation. If the ICE is charging the HV battery, the power is coming from MG1. If regenerative braking is charging the HV battery, power comes from MG2. If the Prius is running in EV, the power comes from the HV battery.

The standard operating voltage on the 12V bus is higher than the quiescent voltage of the 12V battery. This means that the 12V battery charges continuously when the Prius is in Ready. The only exception would be during a high current draw situation exceeding the 100A capability of the DC to DC converter. This would not be normal.

Once charged, the 12V battery draws very little power to remain charged. Essentially it is just sitting there waiting to be used again once the Prius is out of Ready mode. However, a problem can occur when the 12V battery is failing and refuses to charge. Once failure mode causes the 12V battery to become a load, drawing power from the 12V bus. This will hurt mileage, and if severe, it can drag down the voltage of the 12V bus. If it does this, weird things will start to happen with the ECUs and MFD.

Tom