1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big Battery Go Blooey? Advice? References?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by GDonald, May 14, 2015.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BootCamp is VM (virtual machine) software that will allow you to run a Windows Virtual Machine (or emulation, if you like) on your MackBook, so that you don't need to go out and purchase separate 3rd party VM software. Your Mac-Guru should be aware of this, if you ask him.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In other words, you've got a couple options: install directly on your old beater HP with Windows, or use something like Boot Camp to create a "virtual" Windows machine on your Mac, and install the stuff there.

I use Macs rarely and Windows even less, so we're nearing where my abililty to give advice drops off steeply, but I know you can do those things, if you find someone else for the details.

-Chap

3. greasemonkey007

greasemonkey007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. GDonald

GDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Prius People: I'm waiting for that bundle from China--the MiniVCI and accompanying software disc--so I can read the subcodes and get on with this process. Meanwhile, I've talked with the local Toyota dealership, just to see what my options are, and have been told something that I'd like to check with you all, namely that Toyota issued a recall (the technician even gave the recall a number: 40G--on my Prius' traction battery and effectively "glued the cells to the terminals" making it "impossible to replace cells" in my Prius' big battery. My question: Is this a true story?

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you read this forum, you'll see people have overhauled 40G'ed batteries left and right. It's untidy and most people seem to choose acetone for cleaning the sealant residue off the terminals (I don't know what other solvents people may have tried and I haven't done it myself).

Some people even seem to like the experience so much that they ask where to get the sealant so they can reapply it to their overhauled batteries. Not an option, as it turns out, as the sealant (a custom-specified 3M product) went no-longer-available several years ago.

-Chap

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The service writer/technician was inaccurate. They have to work on many different Toyota models and sad to say seldom really understand the Prius and especially this rare, first generation. There were only 54,000 sold in North America between 2000 and 2003.

This is not the first time that owners know tricks about a car that the dealer technicians and their supervisors don't. We have the vehicles, own them, and time to learn what works and what doesn't.

Bob Wilson

7. GDonald

GDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks Bob Wilson and Chap. Everything I've been reading belied what that technician said, but he said it with such good humor and honest earnestness that I questioned my recollection of PriusChat postings.

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    STICKY!

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is the information I link to and it appears on the TundraTalk forum:

Techstream ABCs and 123s: Reference point for all new users

royfrontenac likes this.
  10. GDonald

GDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the link. My wife says the hardware and CD just arrived from China. I'd just printed out your earlier posting and will now put it to use, hopefully, tomorrow.

11. GDonald

GDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    royfrontenac--

In the Tundra Talk Forum piece you sent me, the author says, "Now you need the software." Isn't the software I need on the cd that came with the Mini-VCI or is other software I need?

Don (aka GDonald)

12. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it should be along with text or video that tells you how to set it up on your computer.

13. GDonald

GDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally! Reading codes P3000 & P3006, and--unlike previous readings at friendly neighborhood garage--P3009. The only subcode that appears relates to P3000 and that is subcode 123. (Toyota technician says, "Drive it, and you'll get subcodes on the P3009.") So, Prius friends, what say you? What's 123 telling me, and what's my next step?

P.S. Royfrontenac: Sorry I didn't think of getting back in touch with you sooner. We just spent the weekend in Marston. You're just around the corner, aren't you?

14. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The P3006 means uneven battery block voltages, you have at least one failed module.
    The P3000 with sub 123 is kind of a repeat of the P3009.
    The P3009 is a high voltage leak.

To help identify the weak modules run a charge and discharge test while looking at the live battery data. A good short explanation of how to do that can be found here. Unable to determine the cause of the triangle warning | PriusChat The test takes just a few minutes and nothing needs to be taken apart.

There is also a simple test for locating the high voltage leak. First clear the code. Then turn the key to "ON" but not ready. If the code returns within a minute the leak is in the battery. This is most likely what you will find given the other battery problems you have. If the code does not come back then start the car and shift to neutral. If the codes returns within a minute then the leak is in the inverter or cables. The third step is to shift into drive. If the code comes back only in drive then the leak is in the transmission. This test works by limiting the components exposed to the high voltage until the leak reoccurs.

A battery caused P3009 leak can be fixed by just washing all the modules individually with plain soap and water. Make sure they are spotless and dry before reassembly.

The real problem you face is getting a good matched set of Gen I modules. They are all getting old and tired now. Most likely your pack has one failed module and many or all of the rest are weak.

Brad

royfrontenac likes this.
  15. GDonald

GDonald Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, Brad, and here's a progress report for others--Roy, Chap, BWilson, et al.--who've been helpful: I had to go over to the dark side since the imported disc that came with a mini-VCI wouldn't load into my PC and my Friendly Neighborhood Garage was running out of patience. Hence, I'm dealing with a dealer, at least for now. My customer rep, in reporting the codes and subcodes, says P3009 has to do with power steering! I'm about to email that customer rep your protocol for determining where the high voltage leak is because I do not want have the traction battery replaced and discover we've got a stator--or other costly--problem.

Brad, I'm one of those people who BWilson advised NOT to buy a Gen 1 Prius: no money in the bank and not much inclination--air filters, sure--to work on cars--even well-tended classics, like this one we've got. So, I'm trying to calculate the odds, here. How much are we LIKELY to have to put into this vehicle in the next three-four years? Are there other parts that have a shelf life that we/you know will need replacing anytime soon? I couldn't handle any extraordinary expenses other than the battery.

Also, the Friendly Neighborhood Garage is uncommonly honest, smart and clean and is inclined to move deeper into hybrid service. He's working up an estimate for traction battery replacement for us right now--he's done the research. My wife has been inclined to let the dealer do it, and I've leaned in her direction. Now I'm having second thoughts. A couple of mistakes, and misstatements, by the Toyota technicians have me leaning back to the FNG. Any advice? Any downside to after market batteries? Any upside to dealer-service?

16. royfrontenac

royfrontenac Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a note to people who want to use an old computer with windows xt installed. Make sure the windows xp
    software on the old computer has SP2 or SP3 installed. I recently purchased an old computer and installed windows xp sp1 on it, when I installed techstream and connected the cable to the car, techstream said
    quote " unable to connect to VIM" - I then downloaded and installed SP2 to windows xp and reloaded techstream - it then connected to the car OK and I could use techstream to look at the codes. Just to be sure I reloaded windows xp sp1 and techstream and it could not connect to the car so I know it was windows xp with sp1 was the problem.

Roy from Canada