1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big Brake Upgrade For Gen. III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by shawnb2, Oct 8, 2010.

1. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I totally agree. It's mostly for the bling factor for me as well as filling the huge space behind my 19" wheels.

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Small rotor in a large wheel actually provide more contrast to your big wheel, making them look even bigger.

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Small rotor in a large wheel actually provide more contrast to your big wheel, making them look even bigger.

4. readster

readster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Brake bling is not for me, I just like to stop on a dime with no fade. I bet that 301 HP of your has a brake upgrade of some sort? Any no-name rotor and pad upgrade for a Gen III you would recommend?

5. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Rotor-pros.com great stuff, had their product on my 4runner. Hawk pads make a noticeable difference as well.

6. t0pgear

t0pgear Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ShawnB2, I'm totally with you man. I lived on Pt Dume in Malibu for a few years and driving down Trancas Canyon ROASTED my brakes. In fact even driving sane speeds, the road was so steep that just to maintain 60mph, (with extended brake on as well) brakes were heating up and got warped a few times. Now that I spend a lot of my time in Colorado going between the mountains and Denver, I face the same problem with strong braking coming down I70 to Denver from the mountains.

The reality of these great cars is that they were built for highest MPG at the lowest price, and with 98% of people driving these cars in slo-mo, brakes just weren't a big concern and the perfect target for cost savings.

Excited to see more about the K-Sport kit. I'm pretty close to dropping the cash for that bad boy. Quality looks great, my only concern now is how big of a kit I can fit in my 17" wheel, may need to upgrade to 19's soon!

Lastly, I guess some people will never get us for not caring about MPG. I bought a Prius, I already get better mileage on my worst days than 98% of cars on the road. I average about 30 mpg in my car, but I'm happy because I know I'd be getting 5 in any other!

I agree with another member in this thread that mentioned its cool to mod an unsuspecting eco-family cruiser. If you decently mod this car, you can rest assured that nobody else has your car, and adds some fun shock value to everyday life. More updates on my crazy build soon.....

7. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think that upgrading the pads would provide all the stopping power one might need. Then again this particular post isn't about actually being able to stop quicker it is about bigger clippers for the appearance sake. I can't get behind that- I would rather put the money into handling improvements.

I never really felt my '05 stopped poorly and it still had drum brakes in the rear. I am looking forward to the '14 when it comes with 4 wheel disks to see if it feels different.

8. t0pgear

t0pgear Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

As per my above post I think its about more than "brake bling". Those of us who live in mountainous areas and drive our cars hard VERY QUICKLY find the limits of the current brake system. Back in the day when I was driving over Trancas Canyon back down to PT. Dume my brakes got so hot just from 70mph slow downs that my rotors warped pretty bad, also got SUPER mushy. I have similar problems now with my driving around Colorado. In the summers I regularly take Independence Pass into Aspen and my brakes seriously fry on that route. Lots of sharp corners and rapid deceleration going down steep mountain passes is not what these brakes were meant for. And yes, I have my car in extended recharge/braking mode the whole time.

Looking at some CEIKA kits now. They are a new small company but some pretty good reviews are out there on them, and their BBK's are DIRT cheap. Also, having done my own manufacturing in China on other stuff, I know that all this crap you see, in any business is usually made by the same few people......

9. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. Marius27

Marius27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was easyer just to look at Prius V/Plus/Alpha model. Same as Prius 3 but bigger brakes from factory. Normal Prius 3 has 255mm rotor brakes and Plus has 295mm. Rotor and pads are bigger and they fit like a glove.