1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big day !

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by adsam, Mar 24, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm afraid with 2 posts here, you don't have much clout for making those types of demands.

A fair amount of data has been released today that many of us do care about. This includes what a serious effort for economy can yield in this car, as well as some impressions that those who had the car longer could reveal that those of us who went around a few blocks (a couple times) couldn't possibly figure out. Some of the initial reviews were disappointing, but the more lengthy reviews were rather significant IMHO.

2. edwjmcgrath

edwjmcgrath New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Now it's 3. I've been a member here for a long time despite not posting a lot. Like a lot of potential buyers, I read and keep my mouth shut. I know more about the 2010 prius than most of the people who wrote these articles.

The bottom line is that I want to buy a prius. Toyota management on this site left me with the impression that today was a "big day" and that a lot of information would be available. I learned nothing. The "big day" was a tease. Right now, the only thing about the 2010 prius that is not known is the pricing and the availability. There is nothing new on that front. The rumor is that it might be out in 3 weeks. How can you expect people to buy a car in 3 weeks with no pricing and no confirmation that this date is real? I get the sense that Toyota is playing with pricing due to Honda "competition". I don't see the Insight as competition at all. I just want to know the price!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aug 2008 isn't a long time.

Mar 25 was the day that journalists and the media (as well as us) can reveal their driving impressions on the Prius. There is nothing said about pricing and this date. April is most likely the build date so in reality, you're looking at another month to two months before you'll see one in the showroom.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you know something we all don't know please oh please share it. I know April 20th up until now has been the known line off date but no one else has acknowledged Toyota posting the link to their site in which there was a link to a CNBC video which stated the 2010's would be in showrooms by mid April. I don't see why Toyota themselves would link to a video which states misinformation.

Here's a link for the video: Video - CNBC.com

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two Canadian news sources cited June as the showroom month for Canada. Given that we're having a later launch, May seems plausible for the U.S. That and I've been saying June for the longest time on every single thread that had someone asking about it. It's a guess, sure but right now, it's starting to look like a really good guess ;).

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the reply as always Tideland. Here's to hoping that with a little luck, and maybe the competition from Ford and Honda, both Canada and the US will see their cars a bit earlier than originally expected. :)

7. edwjmcgrath

edwjmcgrath New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't own a Prius but I've been on here for 7 months! That's not a long time?!

After the fact, it appears that Mar 25 was ONLY as you say, a day for journalists driving impressions.

The original "tease" message and most of the follow on messages led me to believe that it was going to be a whole lot more. I guess I need to be more sensitive to hype.

8. kingcole1031

kingcole1031 New Member

I'll try posting this again under the corporate Prius Team name... lol
    Gotta remember that next time

9. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry that we disappointed you. We had told all the PC moderators as well as many long-timers here that March 25 would be Driving Impressions day, something people were really looking forward to. I think we've seen a lot of important, and positive, information about how the car drives.

Production begins late April, and cars will arrive May or June depending upon where you live. Pricing will be available, of course, shortly before the car goes on sale.

Hope that helps

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to disappoint? I think a lot of us are fairly excited about the 60-70mpg that is achievable by letting the car do its thing (ECO mode and using the Hybrid System Indicator). I'm also eagerly awaiting the pricing scheme as it'll depend whether I swap my current vehicle for one or not.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doug????? lol. Dec 2003?? Impressive.

Who runs TMS_USA then? lol.

12. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Oh, we've been watching. :cool:

Scott Deyager is TMS_USA. He's in PR, I'm in Marketing. But we both work for the same team.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales USA

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still.... Dec 2003?? wow.... and we all thought it was only recently. Good man (or team I guess lol). (For all the newer members, the site was founded in Nov 24, 2003)

Btw, if you haven't noticed, I'm still laughing at the name :p. It's really creative. I suppose you are a merry (old) soul :) !

14. rickkop

rickkop New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yahoo, thank you.

15. jprates

jprates https://ecomove.pt

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    You have only yourself to blame.

If you would have read the posts and the information shared by Toyota Prius Team properly, you would have understood what we all did. It is not Toyota fault you are incompetent at reading this site posts.

For someone who has shared nothing with this community, you are pretty arrogant demanding stuff that you are by all means not entitled to.

For someone who claims to be so interested in the car, I find it at least "odd" that you don't give a sh*t to what was posted yesterday all over the American press. I for one I'm still trying to catch up on the review articles. They are VERY important to me, if I am to consider buying the car somewhere in the future.

Knowing how "resistant" the press has been towards the Prius in the last few years, I'm amazed at how much they have "gave up" and now are finally "convinced" this is a great car.

This should tell a lot to us all. I can't understand how you can even consider this as hype.

Regarding Toyota USA Prius Team, I just wish I had such a team in Toyota Europe, or Toyota Portugal posting on my site Prius-PT. They have gone public, they have posted here information long before it was available to the press, and they have treated PC members like royalty at the Detroit Prius world release. They deserve better respect, so you mind your posts please.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks Doug,

Today is March 26 and I'm finally coming back to read the local reviews after having seen the "press" reviews. I'm still amused by at least one commercial reviewer claiming the 2010 Insight is better than the 2010 Prius. <SIGH>

But you know, the real answer will be seen in October 2009 when both vehicles will be on sale, the initial rush over, and we'll see the monthly sales numbers. That will be when the "jury returns the verdict." Personally, I'm hoping both succeed because it isn't an either or, it is the gas cars that are going to feel the pinch ... especially if we get pricy gas again.

I appreciate your efforts and applaud getting folks not in the 'car press' in the seats. Even Consumer Reports had problems before they started reading the readership surveys. <wink>

Bob Wilson