1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Big Sur cliff plunge survival hydration

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ChapmanF, Jul 15, 2018.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    People know that concerning its origin (cell metabolism producing nitrogen and needing a non-ammonia way to get rid of it, etc.). The mechanism considered in this thread isn't the traditional way it becomes present in the bloodstream. Doesn't anything that's ingested, and not absorbed in the gut, get honorarily redesignated as poop by default?

Seems like there would never have been any selective advantage to a gut that avidly absorbs substances that are already present in the bloodstream and not wanted there, so the question seemed worth asking. Of course we know various substances are well absorbed despite ill effects (such as the one that began this thread), but the absorption efficiency for any particular substance seems more of an empirical question than something I can answer a priori, however smart and stable I may be.

-Chap

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are many mistakes in metabolism. Often because enzymes that do one helpful thing accidentally do a different unhelpful thing. Enzyme classic view as 'lock and key' Another key fits as well. Oops.

I understand it's like that for ethylene glkcol. Oxalic acid produced in liver. Liver says oops my bad - you take it, kidneys. Kidneys try, but end up making crystals.

Different critters make different mistakes. So chocolate and avocados are bad as dog food. I suppose a very long and boring book could cover topic of evolutionary 'not such good ideas after all eh?'. Personal favorite - horses. Majestic eh? Human prime movers until very recently. Their digestive systems are train wrecks. So many things can go wrong.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The water stored in my car generally freezes very infrequently. If is does, the car itself can make heat. If I must leave the car, I'd generally have firestarter available. Both the car and the local environment can generally provide fuel for fire.

For cold weather survival, sucking on ice or snow is generally a bad idea. The energy needed to melt ice is quite large, and generally should be conserved for other metabolic functions, not squandered on an abysmally small increment of hydration. Any liquid water is OK, the energy needed to warm it from near freezing to body temperature is far less than needed to melt ice.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    So we explore Bear Grylls on the front side, where he avoids entertaining backside fails.

If you are survival stranded near or below 0 oC, you had effing better be making fire. Lots of fire.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "Water purification tablets?" Chlorine? Filtration of some sort?

Way back when my Dad used to take me backpacking, he'd have a little bottle of "purification tablets". I think they were iodine-based, and the glass pill jar was dark brown. No idea if they were effective, other than I'm still here. Wasn't drinking A/C condensate though.

-Chap

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Iodination works against bacteria and other waterborne parasites. An acquired taste at best, but Tang TM or Everclear TM are available to change the subject.

Modern water filters of porous ceramics appear to be similarly effective. I've wondered though if they work well in hands of unskilled operators. It's not easy to 'do' iodine wrong.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Either a bottle of tablets or a camping-style filter could be fit more easily in some cranny of the car than a significant volume of water. I already have a lot of crannies allocated. There is one just for "WAG bags", after a memorably tense experience in Virginia.

-Chap