1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bigger Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hycamguy07, Aug 9, 2006.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 11 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]301853[/snapback]</div>
    Actually no, unless you have little 'cargo' for the 'larger' family. TCH has 10.6 cu feet of storage, the Prius 14.4 cu ft: 35% MORE. It really is hard to beat a Prius for functionality/versatility. Other than someone really not liking hatchback designs, why buy anything else in the same basic size?

2. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Aug 10 2006, 05:45 PM) [snapback]301142[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with you Tempus.

I was wondering when this would start. Haven't we learned our lesson yet? Bigger means less FE. Bigger means greater wind resistance. Bigger means a whole lot of negatives. We need to learn our lesson. Deal with it, otherwise we collectively will pay in the end.

Sound harsh? Well, if oil is not being made anymore, if we continue to want to travel at highway speeds plus 10 or 15 (or more), if we don't start to downsize our use of oil we will continue to see the price at the pump to increase. Asking for a bigger car is merely asking to pay more for gas at the pump.

Sorry, this suggestion just hit a nerve. :(

3. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Aug 10 2006, 04:53 AM) [snapback]300718[/snapback]</div>
    To each his own.

One of my primary reasons for buying the Prius was that it was not the boat my last car was! The Prius, in comparison, has a much shorter turning radius, is easier to park (by far!), & is simply more nimble, easier to drive.

Ditto what others have said about not changing a winning game.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is, the Prius is designed to be a world car so it has to work well here as well as Asia and Europe (probably explains its narrow body). I'm not sure why they didn't add larger wheels since we tend to travel at higher speeds than in Asia but then again, Toyota was targetting the Prius as a fuel efficient car so anything that improves on that gets the green light.

Therefore, the next Prius probably will stay close to the current dimensions otherwise it won't sell as well in Europe.

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. The Prius is a pretty big car for Europe. Most car mags class it as "large family". It is bigger than any alternative I would have considered; I'd rather have it a little smaller.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet the Prius is shorter than the USDM Corolla. (by 3 inches) lol. You must think the Camry is the equivalent of a limo.

7. wilco

wilco New Member

I'm all for leaving it exactly the same size. Now if they came out with an HSD Yaris 5 door liftback with, a 1 liter ICE, and a base model MSRP of say, $18k US, I'd be all over that! [​IMG]

8. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Aug 18 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]305584[/snapback]</div>
    It is a HUGE car to me...never mind that it is taller than even the '87 7 Series BMW we are about to sell, but it is a couple of inches longer and wider than my last car...a '91 Acura Integra 3-door hatchback. (And though I never considered the GenI because of the LACK of a hatchback...this is as big as I am willing to go!) My 18 yo son keeps threatening to put a tray table in the back seat behind the driver's seat...because my seat is all the way forward. He still mutters about it when he sits on the other side, with the seat in front of him further back. I've had to explain carefully to him about the hazards of rear seat side curtain airbags and objects that are HARD and you don't want an impact with the objects, much less the objects propelled by airbags... :huh:

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The total interior room of the camry hybrid and the Prius is almost exactly the same. The difference is that the Camry hybrid has more passenger room and less cargo room.(5 cu ft)

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Aug 11 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]301825[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: I gave mine this pill that I recieved in my email spam promising it would make my prius bigger :lol: :lol:

No really I was reading on the net that toyota is supposed to be building a seinna van in a hybrid in 08/09.

That would do me just fine.... As for the prius I like the car the way it is.. My question was were they going to make it bigger? the answers no.

11. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Aug 10 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]301160[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, they DO sell Corolla hatchbacks in the US, it's just that they're rebranded as "The Matrix". Blame Keanu Reeves I guess. ;)

dave

12. molgrips

molgrips Member

Hybrid Yaris - I'd have bought one if they made one!

It'd have either a smaller ICE or better still even greater expansion/compression ratio for even better efficiency. And smaller and lighter, less glass and a smaller volume for more efficient AC... you'd expect 70mpg easily, maybe more :) Not to mention much more EV range...

When's the Aygo EV coming out? (I wish!)

Big isn't always beautiful :)

13. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    C'mon guys....everyone knows that Prius enlargement is a myth......

14. wilco

wilco New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveSheremata @ Aug 21 2006, 07:35 AM) [snapback]306679[/snapback]</div>
    Well, not really.
    [attachmentid=4567]
    [attachmentid=4568]
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(molgrips @ Aug 21 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]306698[/snapback]</div>
    Is there an echo in here? (pun intended :p )