1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bike rack for 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ridie, Jun 17, 2008.

1. ridie

ridie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone tried a Saris Bones bike rack on their Prius? I have heard a couple people say it works wonderfully, but I wonder if there are any other users of the Saris Bones for the Prius.

Thanks!

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  3. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have it, and it is the best bike rack ever. So clean looking, very secure, takes 2 mins to take on or off. Comes in like 10 different colors? Couldn't be happier with my bike rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AdamKPL

AdamKPL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No paint problems from using mine.

6. sueprius

sueprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    did you ever hear any other suggestions? i too am trying to find one; someone told me the Yakima King Joe 2 is good; any input? thanks

7. realale

realale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had a Bones 3 for about two months now. I did not want to deal with the hassle and expense of a hitch, and hitch-mounted rack. It works really, really well.

It has been mostly used for hauling my son's bike back and forth to camp, but we've run it several times now with his bike, plus mine and my wife's (hers is really heavy) at highway speeds and on bumpy gravel roads getting to trailheads, and it's been solid. I have the clear rear-bumper applique and the bottom legs sit on that, while the top ones are on the glass.

We got a red one, which looks really nice on our Mag. Grey. It is extremely quick and easy to get this rack on and off once you get it set up (which is also an easy process). It's literally a one person, 20-30 second process to remove it, and maybe a minute to put it on, including adjusting and retying any straps. Very highly recommended.

8. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not a fan of bike racks that set directly on my paint. Your paint/other will get damaged over time .... trust me on this one.

I went with a hitch mounted solution, and couldn't be happier. I can have the entire rack off my auto (and in the trunk) in less than 2 minutes. I can also lock the bikes to the rack, and the rack to the hitch. And nothing ever touches my auto. :)

... Brad

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have the Bones and I like it too. Marring the finish is a concern where the straps come down across the rear of the spoiler. I use a short piece of foam pipe insulation on each strap to provide padding.

As for the lower legs, I have a bumper appliqué that protects the top of the bumper.

10. phoskins

phoskins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Consider this -- I have been carrying two comfort bikes (Electra Townies)in the back of my 08 Prius all Summer. I pop the front wheels off of them, flop the rear seats forward and they both lay down. Hatch shuts just fine. Of course this will not work if you need to carry someone in the back seat. I also have a cheap Allen 3-bike rack that straps on the back. It works OK but everything seems kind of flimsy with the Prius spoiler so I dont use it.

11. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Or if you have a very dirty mountain bike. :)

Dig the Townies, BTW! :D

... Brad

12. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Where are your pedals?

13. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Look at the next thread down in this forum about Saris' Thelma. Doesn't touch your car's paint, nor the bike's.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wouldn't work with my Sun EZ-1 AX recumbents (john1501a has the same bike).

I have the same Saris Bones rack. Like JimboK, I pad the straps where they touch the rear spoiler and the car also has the rear bumper appliqué. No problems. As noted, once you have it set up, it takes little time to put it on and take it off.

15. nickfromny

nickfromny Member since 2007

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thule areo fit kit for roof and bars. Works with all Thule parts. Solid, Lockable, good for summer and winter stuff including ski boxes.