1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bike Racks for 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by davej, Jun 27, 2007.

1. davej

davej New Member

Any experience with bike racks? I've heard of roof racks flying off at high speed, etc...

I'm considering a hitch rack, but I've heard mixed reviews. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you are just carrying one bike, it fits easily in the rear hatch with the seat folded. Two will also fit, if you put some padding between them. I don't like roof racks for lots of reasons. I have a bad back, and lifting them that high is a pain, also they are vulnerable to all kind of bad things, wind, rain, theft, bugs, falling off, you name it. My other car is not a hatch back, and I used an inexpensive Rhode Gear strap on trunk rack ($15 at Goodwill!). I've seen similar ones on Priuss. The hatch may or may not work with the bikes on the rack. Many people like hitch racks too. Do a search, most of the rack stories are in the mods section. Still, I feel inside is best, and you still have room for lots of stuff, but only two people.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I good rack will not come off the roof no matter what you do... unless you take the roof off with it. The bike, however, can be scraped off when entering a garage. Please don't ask how I know this.

There are many threads here discussing this very subject, so it would probably do you well to sear around a bit for the info that has already been posted.

Tons of options for the roof and the rear. Plus there is the option of a trailer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry... I don't seem to have any shots with the bikes on the roof. But here is plenty of other crap on the roof:
    [​IMG]

My best advice. Don't go cheap whatever you do. Do it right, and do it once.