1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bike racks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by barbaram, May 21, 2006.

1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 23 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]259734[/snapback]</div>
    I've been just as nuts as you with mileage and don't want to hurt it in the least. That's why I modified the Yakima bike rack on my rear hitch. I think I now have the perfect set-up. The Yakima bike rack is much lower now and is totally in the draft behind the car. Haven't noticed any drop in MPG yet but it's only been a few days. If I notice a substantial drop, I'll post. See this thread for a link to the pictures of my modified rack.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ May 23 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]259734[/snapback]</div>
    That time of year can range anywhere from the 20's to the 90's. And believe it or not, one year that actually happened within a 24-hour period.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ May 23 2006, 05:35 PM) [snapback]259935[/snapback]</div>
    How about during the actual trip you referred to in your previous post? Did you have that much temperature variation in one trip? And what percent decrease in fuel economy did you figure you had? Just curious to know the conditions when you were hauling your bike and other stuff.

I've seen your spreadsheets with your year-round fuel economy figures, (great info, BTW), so I know you're well into the 50s in warm weather. Your experience is much more extensive than mine, but thus far my mileage seems to be pretty close to yours. So I could accept 40 mpg when it's 30 degrees, but that's probably too much of a hit for me in warm weather. I'll probably haul my running shoes instead of my bike!

Thanks for the info.

Jim

4. v.jones

v.jones New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 23 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]259860[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, when I go to the Saris site, it does include the Prius, it just does not include the Bones as one of their rack model lines that fits the Prius. Judging from the photos posted here on Prius Chat, the "omission" is deliberate, the top straps appear to contact the top of the spoiler. I bought one anyway.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(v.jones @ May 25 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]260924[/snapback]</div>
    For $2, you can get a lifetime supply of form pipe insulation. Just a 2 inch strip on each strap provides all the protection for the spoiler you'd ever need.

Buy the way, having the need to travel 200 miles non-stop with so much weight on back, I felt having a backup reassuring. It was remarkably simple to add too. I discovered a tie-down in the most unexpected of places (since it it so well hidden) in the back-roof of the Prius: the hinge for the hatch. It's outside of the waterseal. So the effort to tie a rope to it was rather trivial.

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ May 21 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]259024[/snapback]</div>
    Of all the coincidences! 2 years ago, I got my Prius and my wife got a Sun SC-1 XA. I went for the lighter weight, with the soon to be in my driveway Prius in mind. I had thought with her arthritis she might like the stability of the SC-3 (trike) but she preferred the SC-1. This year she got a Prius and I got an SC-1 AX. :) I got the Saris Bones 3 (after seeing pictures of yours 2 years ago) and brought her bike home on the back of my prior vehicle. Since I was the only one in the car when I picked up my bike last month, I just folded the Prius rear seats and the bike seat. Slid right in, big handlebars up. THEORETICALLY, I could put 1 SC-1 inside and one on the Saris with my daughter's 24" mountain bike.

I'm still working on the concept of the 4' x 4' trailer with bike supports if I want to go somewhere with 4 people and bikes. Sadly, I have joined the ranks of "No shipment and no response from Coastal'. In March I asked via email if I could get the 2" receiver and Universal video (still trying to find a camera that I could use with it. I don't like the license plate camera :( ) for my car and mudflaps and EV mod for my wife's. I got a response 2 days later saying everything but the hitch was available, it would take 2 weeks. Given my wife's car wasn't due until May, I ordered and said to wait the 2 weeks and ship it all together. She got her car over a month now and I have ZIP from Coastal. I sent an email asking for status a week ago and heard nothing. I left a phone message today but I admit I'm not hopeful given other peoples' experience.

Addendum 3 July 2006: Kelly called back today. They somehow never got the web order back in March. I suspect I printed out the confirmation, but I don't find anything in my email confirming the order. Maybe it dropped the order after giving me the confimration page. In any event, it will ship today or more likely Wednseday. Sounds like when ordering on the web, it is best to follow up with a phone call.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsd43 @ May 23 2006, 01:59 AM) [snapback]259593[/snapback]</div>
    That is wierd! I had to buy special straps for mine to fit the '95 Odyssey. The top brackets do not fit in the slot. The special straps have round rubber cylinders that catch inside the hatch. The Bones fits fine on my wife's (just now sold) '97 Subaru Legacy wagon and my Prius with the standard straps. I do pad where they go over the spoiler. Since we both now have Prii, we can slap the Bones on either car with no adjustments at all.
    Guess I should find someone to buy those special straps, they are just taking up space in my garage.